Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TAKE TOP. #247965 12/04/17 06:22 PM
D
DamonParker Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Last weekend we took an interesting approach with our wrestlers at the Leavenworth Challenger. There was some really quality competition there, and regardless of the opponent, score, or match situation, when it was our choice we took top.

There were certainly some matches that went as you would imagine...went into the 3rd period down 1-0, took top, lost 2-0.

As you would expect, we had a huge statistical spike in 2 and 3 point nearfalls vs. what we scored at that tournament last year (43% more nearfalls this year). As you would also expect, there was a dramatic decline in escapes and reversals (78% fewer points from the bottom position).

All of that being said, I tend to agree with Aaron Levinstein's philosophy on statistics: “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”

What was lost in the numbers were the matches where our wrestlers knew the match situation and knew they had to ride or score to win. Gavin Carter was up 5-4 going into the third on a VERY tough opponent from Missouri. Took top and turned him, eventually pinning him.

Jacob Glendinning was up 2-1 going into the 3rd, took top, and rode out a tough opponent for 2 minutes to win (which, as any heavyweight would tell you, is nearly impossible against a good, big, ridiculously sweaty opponent).

Gavin Collins was down 7-2, took top in the 3rd, and after a few tilts and a scramble ended up winning 10-9. Most times we would take bottom, get our escape, and likely lose 7-3 or 7-5.

It didn't always work out in our favor, but it was a good opportunity to generate some adversity and put our kids in a "must turn to win" situation, which was definitely worth finishing 2nd as a team instead of 1st. I would highly recommend giving it a try in at least one tournament this year (but probably not that big one in Park City).

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: TAKE TOP. [Re: DamonParker] #247978 12/05/17 05:33 PM
J
JamyD Offline
J
Coach, that's a great philosophy! I do it from time to time (at the kids level that is).Like you said it makes them get better at riding or turning opponents over regardless of score and outcome. Of course I have found the parents questioning the "why" I did it. My response was its not how you start the season, its how much better you get during the season and how you end the season. No one remembers if little Johnny lost to little Bobby midway thru the season, but EVERYONE will remember if little Johnny got better even in losing and eventually took State. Great post Coach and best of luck this season!!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,350
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)