Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chuck Elvin needs our Prayers!! #250928 06/20/18 02:55 AM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I just received word that a great friend and leader of the Kansas wrestling community is in need of our prayers.

Chuck Elvin, a former State and National leader, is in an Olathe Hospice home, battling Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer. Chuck is a great friend to many of you and all of us in Kansas wrestling can credit Chuck and Cherie Elvin for a lot of what Kansas wrestling is today.

I am sure that Mike Juby will have more to say in the morning. I will say this ... Chuck has had a rough run. Several years ago he and his family were at the Reno Air Show when a tragic accident, impacted the Elvin family. Cherie lost her life and Chuck and his family, suffered great bodily injuries.

Even after losing a leg and being confined to a wheel chair, Chuck made appearances in Virginia Beach, Fargo and Kansas Kids State in Topeka. The Elvin family felt that we should know of Chuck's fight and asked that we place them all in our thoughts and hearts.

Last edited by usawks1; 06/20/18 03:08 PM.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Chuck Elvin needs our Prayers!! [Re: usawks1] #250930 06/20/18 12:48 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Chuck Elvin, one of the early leaders of USA Wrestling and USAW-Kansas, has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He is currently at the Olathe Hospice House at 15310 Marion St. Olathe, KS 66061 and would undoubtedly would enjoy cards and notes.

Chuck began his involvement in wrestling in 1979 when he was elected the president of the Olathe Wrestling Club. He had not wrestled as a youth, in fact he was a member of the state championship basketball team at Haven High School, but when his sons became interested in wrestling Chuck threw himself into learning as much as he could about the sport. In his case, this meant becoming increasingly involved in the leadership of the sport, first at the club level, then statewide and finally as at the national level.

In 1983, Chuck was elected state treasurer of USAW-Kansas. Then, during a challenging time for the state association in 1988, he took the position of State Chairman for USAW-Kansas, a role he continued until 1998. During this period, he led USAW-Kansas back to financial solvency and played an essential role in saving USA Wrestling from the brink of bankruptcy. In 1998, Chuck was elected to the USAW board of directors.

Chuck received multiple honors in wrestling over the years, including being named the USA Wrestling State Chairperson of the year in 1994, voted the Kansas Kids’ Person of the Year in 1998, inducted into the State Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2005, and being placed in the Kansas Wrestling Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2009.

Chuck and his wife Cherie were the face of USAW-Kansas for years, and the whole state was stunned in 2011 when their family was struck by tragedy at the Reno Air race Show. Chuck and Cherie were in the VIP section watching when one of the planes crashed in the seated area. Cherie was killed on impact and Chuck, his two sons Brian and Bill and his daughter in law were sent to the hospital with critical injuries. Chuck ended up losing a leg and was left with ongoing health issues, but that did not stop him from continuing to stay active. Chuck made appearances in Virginia Beach (where an award was created in his name at the Senior Nationals), Fargo (watching as his grandson wrestled at the USAW Jr/Cadet Nationals) and the Kansas Kids State Championships in Topeka.

Gary Ulmer, a longtime friend of the Elvin's and high school coach for two of Chuck’s sons, is going to check in on Chuck later today and will let me know if Chuck is up to receiving phone calls and visitors. I’ll keep everyone updated as I get more information on how Chuck is doing.

Re: Chuck Elvin needs our Prayers!! [Re: usawks1] #250954 06/20/18 11:53 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Chuck passed away at about 3:00 this afternoon. His contributions helped make our organization and the people who benefit from it what they are today. Although he is no longer with us, his spirit will live on in every Kansas wrestler who steps on the mat. Rest in Peace, Chuck.

Re: Chuck Elvin needs our Prayers!! [Re: usawks1] #251019 06/28/18 05:15 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
Chuck is a hall of fame friend of wrestling. He has donated thousands of hours, countless money and love into our sport. His family was always there helping as long as I can remember. My thanks and prayers go out to all of you. You made a difference. You all made a lot of good memories for my wrestlers, family and of course me. I want to thank you all for that! I will remember a lot of good times with the Elvins! Thank you Chuck!

It’s a great day to be alive

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 124 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,924
Posts250,329
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)