Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Erisman New Head Coach at Arkansas/Little Rock #250931 06/20/18 03:16 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
LITTLE ROCK – Little Rock has reached another milestone in the process of adding wrestling as its 15th intercollegiate athletic program with Director of Athletics Chasse Conque announcing the hiring of Neil Erisman as the program's first head wrestling coach.

Erisman brings to Little Rock an impressive career both as a competitor and coach at the Division I level, encompassing two of the nation's top programs in Oklahoma State and North Carolina. During his coaching career, Erisman has mentored 20 NCAA All-Americans and four NCAA individual champions.

"Today starts a new chapter for Little Rock Trojan Athletics with the hiring of Neil Erisman as our first head wrestling coach," said Conque. "We had tremendous interest in the position and we feel coach Erisman is the right person to lead our program at Little Rock. Neil brings a deep understanding of the sport, a passion for leading young men and a commitment to doing things the right way, giving us great confidence that bright days are ahead for Little Rock wrestling."

"My family and I would like to thank Chasse Conque, Chancellor Andrew Rogerson and the UA Little Rock community for welcoming us to the Trojan family," Erisman said. "I am very excited for this opportunity and I'm looking forward to getting to Little Rock to begin my work as the Trojans' first head wrestling coach."

Erisman has spent the past four seasons at the University of North Carolina where he has played a key role in helping the Tar Heels improve on the national stage. In his four seasons in Chapel Hill, Erisman has helped guide UNC to an overall record of 41-28, finishing third in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2015-16 and 2017-18.

During his time in Chapel Hill, Erisman has mentored four ACC individual champions and four NCAA All-Americans, highlighted by the 2017-18 season when Troy Heilmann (149) and Ethan Ramos (174) both claimed ACC titles. Heilmann then went on to place fourth in the NCAA Championships in Cleveland with Chip Ness (184) placing seventh, earning the duo All-America honors as the Tar Heels tied for 20th, their highest finish since placing eighth in 1995.

The Tar Heels also produced a pair of ACC champions in 2015-16 in Evan Henderson (149) and Ethan Ramos (174) with Joey Ward finishing seventh in the NCAA championships at 141. In his first season in Chapel Hill, Erisman worked closely with Ethan Ramos, who finished second in the ACC at 165 before placing sixth at NCAAs.

Additionally, Erisman earned a reputation as a top recruiter, helping North Carolina post top-10 recruiting classes in his first three seasons.

"I have been privileged to spend four seasons at the University of North Carolina, working with my great friend and head coach Coleman Scott," said Erisman. "I want to give a very special thank you to coach Coleman Scott, Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham, Vince Ille, the Tar Heel coaching staff and the entire support staff for their constant support during my time at UNC. Chapel Hill will always hold a special place in our hearts and is a place we were proud to call home."

Prior to his time in Chapel Hill, Erisman spent one season as the assistant wrestling coach at Stillwater High School in Stillwater, Oklahoma. He helped guide the Pioneers to the 2014 Oklahoma 6A state championship while also being named the 2014 Oklahoma High School National Team Coach.

Erisman's coaching career began at his alma mater, serving as a graduate assistant coach at Oklahoma State from 2011-13 under legendary coach John Smith. One of his main priorities was helping with the development of the Cowboys' freshman wrestlers while helping continue the tradition of Oklahoma State wrestling.
During his two years as a graduate assistant, OSU placed sixth at the 2012 NCAA Championships, followed by a Big 12 championship in 2013 while finishing second at the 2013 NCAA Championships.

Erisman put together a stellar collegiate career in Stillwater, compiling an overall record of 92-36 and was a four year letterwinner for the Cowboys from 2007-11 under coach Smith. He was the 2011 Big 12 Champion at 157 pounds after placing second in 2010 and third in 2009, being named an Academic All-Big 12 selection in 2008.

A native of DeSoto, Kansas, Erisman compiled a 150-5 prep record at DeSoto High School and was both a state and cadet national champion. He earned his bachelor's degree in business administration from Oklahoma State in 2011. He and his wife, Kelli, have three children – Duke (6), Oakley (5) and Zane (1).

Erisman is now tasked with the challenge of beginning to compile the Trojans' first recruiting class, leading up to the program's inaugural season in 2019-20. An introductory press conference to formally introduce coach Erisman will be held in the coming weeks.

What They're Saying About Coach Erisman

"It's definitely bittersweet for me. I couldn't be happier for a better coach and person. Neil was a huge part of what we've been able to do here at UNC. Without him and his family's dedication to the program, I don't think we could be where we are today. With that said, I am super happy for Neil and his family to get a chance to run a brand new Division I program."
- Coleman Scott, Head Coach – University of North Carolina

"Coleman Scott assembled a young, talented and aggressive staff and Neil played a key role in all aspects of our program. Neil was instrumental in establishing the culture and building the team that we want at North Carolina. He has earned a great opportunity in Little Rock and we could not be happier for Neil and his family."
- Vince Ille, Senior Associate Athletic Director – University of North Carolina

"I am excited about Neil Erisman becoming the new head coach at Little Rock. As a former Big 12 champion wrestler at Oklahoma State and a coach at North Carolina, he has learned from the best how to build a competitive national program. He has the organization, energy, drive and tenacity to build Little Rock's inaugural team."
- Greg Hatcher, Founder of Arkansas Wrestling Association and Program Benefactor

"Neil Erisman is one of the great young coaches in our sport. It's very exciting to see that he will be spearheading the new wrestling program at Little Rock."
- Pat Smith, Four-time NCAA Champion and Former Assistant Coach – Oklahoma State University

#LittleRocksTeam

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Erisman New Head Coach at Arkansas/Little Rock [Re: usawks1] #250949 06/20/18 08:56 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Very proud of that young man. Works hard and has a giant heart. Told him when he was 5 years old, "the only way you can learn everything is to learn from everybody", he sought out the best and learn from them. Good Luck Neil!

Coach Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Erisman New Head Coach at Arkansas/Little Rock [Re: usawks1] #251308 09/08/18 08:46 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20500

Little Rock unveils plans for new wrestling facility
Mark Palmer
Mark Palmer, InterMat Senior Writer
8/30/2018
mark@intermatwrestle.com, Twitter: @MatWriter

Wrestling may be the oldest and greatest sport, but at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, everything about the sport will be exciting and new. New NCAA Division I wrestling program. New head coach, Neil Erisman. And, a brand-new wrestling facility, plans which were unveiled Tuesday.

Back in March at the 2018 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, UA Little Rock announced it would add wrestling to its roster of intercollegiate sports. Three months later, the school revealed it had hired Erisman, bringing valuable coaching experience at Oklahoma State, then University of North Carolina to launch the new mat program.

This week, the floor plans and architectural drawings for Little Rock's new wrestling facility were unwrapped.

The new facility, to be named the Greg Hatcher Wrestling Center in honor of the man who brought the first Division I wrestling program to Arkansas, will provide a state-of-the-art home for the Trojan wrestling program.

The new freestanding facility represents a major portion of Greg Hatcher's $1.4 million gift to launch the wrestling program at Little Rock. The 16,000-square-foot facility will feature a practice facility with four wrestling mats, along with coaches' offices, locker rooms, an athletes' lounge, training room and a weight room all in one self-contained facility.

In addition, the Hatcher Wrestling Center will also feature a pair of outdoor patio areas available to the entire campus community, providing a place for students, faculty and staff to meet and socialize. The facility will be built adjacent to the Donaghey Athletic Center on the south end of campus, occupying the space that was once home to old tennis courts.

"This was a vision of Greg Hatcher, and to him, I say thank you," said UA Little Rock Director of Athletics Chasse Conque. "We appreciate you sharing your vision, your time, your tenacity and your philanthropy to make this all happen. I'm confident with the support of Greg and this community, this program will quickly become a national contender in just a few short years."

Greg Hatcher echoed that sentiment, saying, "Little Rock wrestling isn't here just to participate, it's here to compete. To have four wrestling mats to practice with in a stand-alone building with its own locker room, its own coaches' offices and its own weight room, Little Rock will have one of the premiere wrestling facilities in the country."

Construction on the Hatcher Wrestling Center will begin this fall and is expected to be completed in the spring of 2019. Erisman is already recruiting his first signing class as Little Rock sets its sights on its first season of competition in the fall of 2019.

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is a four-year, metropolitan public research university in the state capital. Established in 1927, the school has approximately 12,000 students.

Last edited by smokeycabin; 09/08/18 08:48 AM.

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 107 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,932
Posts250,363
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)