Wesley hired to lead Northwest Tech wrestling program

Northwest Kansas Technical College
7/5/2019

There is a new face in the Northwest Tech wrestling room this summer. After an extensive search for a coach with the skills and character to build on the success of the program, Athletic Director Rory Kling is pleased to announce that August Wesley will be leading the Mavericks Wrestling program.

"We're excited to welcome someone with the success August has experienced, both as a coach and an athlete, to lead the program," Kling said. "His philosophy of developing students both as athletes and young men on the mat and in the classroom will serve him well as he leads our program."

Wesley comes to Northwest Tech following a successful three-year stint running the Iowa State University club wrestling program. During his time at ISU, Wesley led his team to earn 23 National Qualifiers, 2 All-Americans, 3 Academic All-Americans,

and recently took 5th place in the 2018 NCWA National Championships. He has had significant success both nationally and internationally as a coach and athlete and brings a considerable and extensive network to the program.

"I'm honored to be named the Head Wrestling Coach at Northwest Technical College and extremely excited for the opportunity to lead a program with a tradition of success on the mat and in the classroom," said Wesley. "I want to thank Director of Athletics Rory Kling, Vice President of Operations Sherri Knitig, President Ben Schears and the entire search committee for believing in me and my vision for the future of this program."

As an athlete, Wesley had top 10 finishes in the 2012 and 2015 World Championships as well as competing in the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Trials. Throughout his wrestling career, he represented the United States on multiple international teams and was a six-time medalist. Wesley has strong ties to the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, having resided at the center during several trainings and competitions.

Key to the continued success of the Maverick program will be Wesley's extensive coaching career. Over his 25 years of coaching, he was able to lead 14 U.S. teams in international competitions. His coaching efforts took him to 24 different countries on five continents and twice being honored with the Outstanding Coach's Award at competitions in Australia and Austria. He was recently nominated for the 2019 Class of the Sacramento Sports Hall of Fame as "the most decorated Greco Roman wrestler and coach ever to come from Sacramento."

Wesley arrived on campus the first week of July and has already been busy lining up new and returning wrestlers for the upcoming season. "While he's had an incredible career, as I've gotten to know him, I have been most impressed with his character and preparation," said Northwest Tech President Ben Schears. "He brings a lot to the table, and I'm excited to see where he will take the program."

Wesley expressed that his true passion and commitment is in building young men that can be successful in life after wrestling. "I am thrilled to be able to guide this team and these amazing student-athletes to the next level," said Wesley. "We have high expectations for our Mavericks, and we will motivate them to achieve their full potential. I plan on using the relationships that I have built over the past 13 years of coaching at the collegiate level to help develop this institution into a perennial National contender."

When asked about coming to the college, he stated "I can say with confidence that Northwest Tech is a great destination with first-class facilities, an athletic administration that is "All In," and the community of Goodland will be a great place to call home." Keep up with the Maverick Wrestling program on our website at www.ntmavericks.com or on team social media accounts