At our board meeting this year, I informed the board that I would be stepping down as the official director for USAWKS. I have really enjoyed my time in this position and getting to know and work with people throughout the state. I have tried to be responsive and address issues and concerns that were brought to my attention. I am not going to stop officiating or being involved with wrestling in Kansas, I’m just stepping away from the position to allow someone else to bring their ideas or insights into the position.

I have listed the core tasks that I performed to support the position. If you know of anyone that might be interested in the position, please have them reach out to myself or to Mike Juby for more details. This is a volunteer position.

I can be reached Via cell 316-650-4387, or by email rkashpole@hotmail.com.

(13) Officials Director – The Officials Director’s responsibility shall be to represent all Kansas wrestling officials, including both folkstyle and freestyle/Greco-Roman officials, and is responsible for improving the quality and increasing the numbers of officials within the state. He/she will supervise registration of all USAWKS officials and keep a written record of all officials. He/she will appoint the head official at the USAWKS Kids Folkstyle tournament. He/she will coordinate the assignment of officials at freestyle/Greco-Roman tournaments, including regional and national events. He/she will review and authorize any stipends or expense reimbursements for officials approved by the State Body or Corporate Board.

Folkstyle
KSHSAA coordination
• Work with KSHSAA on communication integrated into the KSHSAA required officials training.
• Attend multiple meetings for onsite signups and to relay requirements.
• Create document outlining steps for USAWKS certification.
• Create document outlining ongoing steps for coming years.
Official training
• Outline training plan
• Send to new officials
New official recruiting
• Contact officials that did not get certified for KSHSAA but obtained USAWKS certification. This assists with post season.
• Contact High Schoolers from previous year about getting signed up. Reach out to High School coaches.
• Stipend for clubs that use young officials above the number of officials needed.
Young/new official retainment
• Send reminder to all USAWKS officials about KSHSAA signup deadline and requirements. Notify them on the steps for renewal.
New official re-imbursement. (if this is continued)
• We have done new official reimbursement. I work with KHSAA and get list of new officials. I send them info on getting setup for USAWKS. In early January, I reconcile the KSHSAA new officials with the USAWKS list and send a check for $50 to cover KSHSAA 1st year fee.
Official signup assistance
• Assist with USAW signup process.
State Ballot
• Review all officials that have signed up for USAWKS. Validate that they have completed KSHSAA and USAW requirements.
• Set ballot cutoff date.
State vote count
• Establish timeframe to send ballots
• Establish timeframe for vote receipt.
• Count votes. (send copies to another individual in case of questions).
State official contracts
• Send contracts, confirm contracts, coordinate rooms, order shirts.
State tournament
• Official meeting
• Coaches meeting
• Order, count champion flippers, distribute to tables – usually order 3 years at a time to reduce costs. I have 2020 set.
• Official mat assignments.
• Issue handling

National FS/GR/Folkstyle tournaments
State GR/FS tournament
• Obtain officials
• Skin checks
Establish re-imbursement guidelines – these can be reviewed/modified annually
New official recruiting
• Contact officials encourage participation in international styles
• Assist with signup process
• Create high level rules review and training
• Stipend for clubs that use new officials above the number of officials needed.
National Re-imbursement for national tournament based on guidelines
Oversite of re-imbursement requests
New official training – Olympic styles

Keith Ashpole