Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Guillotine #94263 01/08/06 01:28 PM
Mike Juby Offline OP
OP Offline
My question concerns the legality of a headlock with a guillotine.

Rule 7-1-5(d) defines an illegal headlock as “any headlock in which the arms or hands are locked around the opponent’s head without encircling an arm (elbow or above) or leg (except in the guillotine after near-fall criteria has been met or ¾ Nelson).”

Near-fall criteria is defined in Rule 5-11-2(a): “Criteria for a near fall occur when any part of both shoulders or both scapulae of the defensive wrestler are held within 4 inches of the mat or less; or when one shoulder or scapula of the defensive wrestler is touching the mat and the other shoulder or scapula is held at an angle of 45 degrees or less with the mat; or when the defensive wrestler is held in a high bridge or on both elbows.”

I have encountered some disagreement with officials concerning when a wrestler can lock his hands while using a guillotine. Their position is that the wrestler must have earned back points before the hands can be locked. I do not see anywhere in the rulebook where this is required; it appears to me that as soon as near-fall criteria is met (as defined in 5-11-2(a)), the wrestler can legally lock his hands around his opponent’s head (without waiting two seconds until he earns near fall points).

Is there something else in the rulebook that I am missing, or am I misinterpreting the rule?

Re: Guillotine #94264 01/08/06 04:17 PM
O
Official2 Offline
O
Mike,

You are absolutely correct, and you have referenced all of the appropriate rules in your post. In a guillotine, the offensive wrestler can lock his hands around the head without an arm after near fall criteria is met (i.e., when 45 degrees is met). Near fall points DO NOT have to be earned to lock the hands without an arm. This is a common misconception among some officials and coaches, as many believe there has to be a two count for near fall before the hands can lock, which is incorrect. As soon as the shoulder of the defensive wrestler hits that 45 degree angle to start near fall, the offensive wrestler may lock his hands around the head without the arm in the guillotine.

Re: Guillotine #94265 01/08/06 10:31 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
From the 2005-2006 NFHS Wrestling Case Book and Manual (pages 44 and 45):

7.1.5 Situation B:
Wrestler A applies the guillotine with a headlock and then turns Wrestler B towards the back.

Ruling: This is an illegal headlock since it is not permissible to lock around the head without an arm in the guillotine until near fall criteria has been met. In this situation the headlock is applied prior to turning the opponent and is therefore illegal.

7.1.5 Situation G:
Is it permissible to lock your hands around your opponent's head in the guillotine without encircling an arm above the elbow?

Ruling: This would be legal in the guillotine after near fall criteria has been met. The hands may remain locked as long as the wrestler is able to hold the opponent in near fall criteria. When the defensive wrestler is able to come out of criteria, that is either letting both shoulders off the mat in excess of of four inches or when one shoulder is on the mat, the other shoulder is in excess of 45 degrees off the mat, then the locked hands must be released. The referee may need to notify the wrestler when they reach this position so that it can be corrected without stopping the match. This would be a situation where the illegal hold would be caused by the defensive wrestler and, therefore, the offensive wrestler must be given an opportunity to remedy the situation.

Richard D. Salyer

Moderated by  Official1, Official2 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 135 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)