I, for one, would like to increase our placing in these results! How do we accomplish that?

We need to increase the number of wrestlers we take to this tourney! My rough estimate would be that the top tier States are talking over 40 wrestlers each. For instance, Ohio had 133 entrants in the Freestyle-division alone. We had 53!

However, numbers alone do not mean success! New Jersey had 18 Cadets entered in Greco and they scored, 32-points. In Cadet Freestyle, Oklahoma had 16 entered and they also scored 32-points. Also in Junior Greco we had 17 wrestlers that scored 26-points!

We need to increase the numbers AND the quality! We all realize that Kansas left several quality wrestlers at home and perhaps that is a separate discussion. But as I said in an earlier message we have wrestlers that need to increase their core strength and we have a few that have plenty of stregth that got beaten by superior technique. However, we have a bunch that need, increased strength and technique.

But that takes decidacation! Maybe we need an increased level of dedication … and dedication beyond themselves! We need to make a serious effort to improve in all areas. Also, I am not sure in that past several years we have made a serious run at the team spirit award. Are we really supporting each other the way we should?

We also need increased dedication by our coaches! The level of commitment by our Cadet and Junior staffs is outstanding but they have wrestlers coming to them in June that have limited skills. This too, I have talked about before but overall, our coaches, whether kids level, middle school level or high school, need to develop a higher skill level in our wrestlers!

I guess I’ve said enough for now … it’s your turn!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant