I am new to Kansas Wrestling, a transplant from Montana. While Montana is not necessarily known as a hotbed for wrestling, the state has produced some exceptional talent. I won't pretend to know the training plan that was established for Team Kansas, so I apologize up front if I am speaking way out of turn. I just want to share a vignette on my experience with summer wrestling as it was one that I believe contributed to a great deal of success for me and my team mates. We used to pile into vans and go to 2 camps prior to leaving for tournaments in Vegas, Indianapolis etc.. The first camp was a week in Great falls Montana under the supervision of our very best high school coaches and other clinicians in the state. We would then move in our vans to a 10-day intensive camp in Oregon where we trained and wrestled against teams from Washington, Oregon, Idaho...even a few kids from Canada. The bottom line is that these camps were not one-a-day practices. They were intense camps with morning conditioning, technique and situation live sessions in the morning and afternoons, and live wrestling in the evenings. Iron sharpened iron in these sessions, and we were absolutely prepared to wrestle in the national tournaments. But, we also formed a tight-knit family of wrestlers based on the hardships we shared in these camps. I offer this because I think there are opportunities to partner with adjacent states to generate some pre-fargo training experiences that would improve performance. Just some thoughts...

Mike Mathews