Ok, here's an idea and shoot me if I am wrong, because I really don't see any other positive way to get Greco or Freestyle to have a chance to grow in this state.

There are a bunch of small tournaments in this state that either because of their location and or competition with other larger tournaments have low numbers in attendance. I would suggest that you begin incorporating the opportunity to wrestle those other styles as well as the folkstyle. You could offer 2 styles or all three in the same day. If your really bold you could run a two day tourney and do them on separate days if you didn't think it could all be done in one day. I have never ran a tournament so I have no idea of the logistics and realities of how this would work, but I do know that exposure and opportunity are the only way the kids are going to get involved. If nothing else someone who has the skills and the foresight could at least put on a few clinics at these things to show the kids what it's all about.

As it stands most kids let alone parents have no idea what Greco/Freestyle is about. Everything is geared towards Folkstyle and once the State series is done so are they. I would bet most parents don't even know it's available unless the coaches tell them or perhaps as I do follow the message boards.

What I am saying here is don't wait till March to start trying to recruit. Get out there from the get go in Nov and start exposing people to this opportunity. Give people a chance to see and do these things early on so that they know what's going on and get some interest built up. It's like anything else different, some people will shy away if they think it is either too difficult or doesn't have merit. You got to make believers of them and show them that it is something that will help their child be a better wrestler and offer more opportunities.

Thanks, Troy

Fortune assists the daring.