Chad
I want Ks wrestling to grow as much as the next guy. I love this sport and I am very thankful for what it has given back to my sons and the awesome relationships that it has given me.
I am more then willing to be a team player. When I first started kicking this idea around last year my purpose was to help struggling tournaments grow. Use the series idea to draw people to the smaller tournaments. Be kinda like the Robin Hood of Wrestling. lol
Then I tried to look at it from every side and thought that it just wouldnt work for some of the smaller tournaments. Some of them are break even as it is. Could they afford to chip in to final prize pool and I also want this to go over big so I was also looking at some of the better ran tournaments.
My idea was to start out by taking some of the bigger D2 tournaments and get the ball rolling there and then once it was rolling the right way start to spread out.
The one thing that I see that is choking this sport is all these tournaments stacked up on the same weekend. You can wrestle a good tournament almost every weekend and never leave your own district. I also want to use the series to maybe motitvate people to get out of their little box and travel to other districts and see new competition. I know everyone can't afford to travel every weekend and that's ok. But let's try to give people some incentive to do that.
Anytime you get a few strong kids from different districts in a SUPER bracket it creates buzz and excitement for our sport.
That is a good thing.
I know I know...
There are some true hard core wrestlers out there that would wrestle for bubble gum. But they are the minority. We cherish those kids and those are the ones that usually go on to bigger and better things. But for our sport to flurish we need to appeal to the masses.
I don't want to take away from any club that holds a tournament but the truth is if we don't start seeing clubs Co Op their tournaments that they will start to choke out and die anyway. Look how many people canceled this year.

Last edited by BLT; 04/05/10 02:00 AM.