Originally Posted By: Beeson
I agree Doug. Isn't it funny how we need to do something to improve Kansas wrestling, but the answer can't be to get involved with Freestyle and Greco. The answer must be...A Series. Why is the series the answer? Because there is no real sacrifice. The kid doesn't have to dedicate more time into the sport. They just need to go to different tournaments, tougher tournaments. Yes that will make them champions. Not wrestling in the summer that would cut into baseball and @#$%^!ball.

If you want to get better you have to Freestyle. This is Jake's first year and he loves it. He is playing baseball on a traveling team also. It can be done....it just depends on how badly you want to make it work.

WE ALL KNOW, SUMMER WRESTLING MAKES WINTER CHAMPIONS. what i find really funny here is that you are so close minded to think that, THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT. there are alot of different things that go into making a champion. there isn't alot of fs here in sek, when there is it's not very organized. doug hitchcock and i have talked about opening the room on sudays, just to roll around and keep wrestling in their heads.

but it's funny how chad brings up $$$, when in the summer when most kids play baseball, it is fs and greco that take the "extra/ unplanned" $$$. yet trying to do something "in season" is ridiculous.

IT'S ALL IN THE SPIRIT OF COMPETITION. it's kinda funny how things are different with different sports, in ark city they are the top in wrestling and believe the only way, is the way they know. i used to be the same way with football, if you wanted a football state championship ANY CLASS you had to beat a sek team to do it. heck even PSU was better in the day than k-state/ ku. now i see things differently, things have shifted, football as a whole has changed. we wrestled to be in better football shape. now we wrestle to compete, to win state championships, we seek out the best and test ourselves. just like we used to in football. BUT THAT ALONE IS SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH ANYMORE. we played 5a (equal to 6a in ks) teams in missouri for about 2-3 games a year, before we played any ks teams. we beat ark city on the way to one of our state championships, they were the only ks team outside of the sek to come close. that simply isn't good enough anymore. things have been tough for football teams here in the sek for a few years.

my point is you have to continue to grow and look for ways to improve. there no other way. no one has ALL the answers. i'm so glad, there is alot of passion on this subject, as well as many others.

Last edited by HEADUP; 04/13/10 09:03 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"