Bockman You are right The number of kids doing GR/FS are way down compared to the number doing Folkstyle. Mike is also right the kids that do GR/FS and another sport are way ahead of the kids that stop wrestling after States. I have a kid who has only wrestled 3 and 1/2 seasons and been a state qualifier for the past two seasons. and He owes alot of his success to doing 2 years of GR/FS. He also plays baseball during the GR/FS season. We only hit tournament every other weekend or so and then states and Southern plains. I think if we really wanted to improve Kansas wrestling we need to push GR/FS and get more kids wrestling those styles. Plus the laid back enviroment in GR/FS practice and tournaments is a good relief after Folkstyle and most of the kids really do it to have fun and enjoy the mat time. I know as a coach and a dad the GR/FS season is alot of fun without the stresses that are seen in Folkstyle (overcrowded gyms, long drawn out tournaments, parents crowded around the matside so you can't see and so on).

Andrew Steele

Andrew Steele
ford69f100@yahoo.com