Originally Posted By: BLT
Sportsfan
But the four issues I asked are important ones and like Chad even said the weight class one gets swept by every year.
Does the weight class issue effect ME or MY CHILD. NO but it has effected wrestlers that I coach and other good wrestlers around the state. I think it is a valid issue and I try to support it getting resolved. working to make it better.

That is a subject for another thread but I can tell you, the issue will never be resolved in a manner which will suit you! Because I can't see our organization going back to unlimited heavyweight groups. We've been there and done that. Anyone that was truely interested in the "competition", would have to feel the same.

The series idea has already been proven to work. It has created some of the biggest or TOUGHEST tournaments that OK has to offer. Yes I know the WOW series are the kings of OK but you look in JOC and Mustang and those are some good tournaments in its self.

Yeah, I'm sure Oklahoma has some good little tournaments. Then again, so does Kansas. The thing Kansas has more of is, the smaller tournaments. Those exact same tournaments the series will put out of business if it was established. Now we can argue about this back and forth forever but that is the opinion of myself and others. You guys can glorify Oklahoma and all it does in wrestling but I believe our state is superior, particularly at the youth level.

I could just throw my hands in the air and walk away from this but I feel like it is our duty to try to give back to the sport that has given so much to us.

Just because your first idea gets shot down doesn't mean you have to quit giving back!

If the series idea happens it is one that is open to participation or not. Its not something that will be forced down your throat. If it works then eventually you will feel compelled to go cause that's where all the best competition will be but it will be you choice not to.

Of course nobody would be forced, and it hasn't been suggested that they would be forced. Instead it will happen by natural progression and totally unintended, but it will happen none the less. If a club is not able to host a tournament it has greatly reduced it's sustainability. A club tournament, besides raising needed funds, serves as the glue in many cases, that hold these groups together.
You can go ahead and turn wrestling into the "traveling" team mentalilty that so many other youth sports must endure, and it will only lead to our demise. We can make this a sport of the parent who has the money to travel all over the midwest or maybe the U.S. but you will only be reducing opportunities for kids. If the clubs fold, the supply of kids folds which creates even more need to travel. We need the mom and pop wrestling club in Podunk Kansas as much or more than we need any regional, national or "series".
Has the "super-sizing" of anything, ever been good for us the consumers? I say leave our tournaments alone, don't try to "super-size" them.