I like the twist that this thread has taken down the stretch. The kids that work their tails off, but haven't reached the top of the mountain. Yet, they love the sport and continue to drive on. I would throw my son into that category.

He got invited as an alternate to the Middle School National Duals although he didn't even qualify for Kids State this year (probably heard this before, but his District bracket had to be one of the toughest in the State). I told him to have a great time, but to understand that it would be extremely tough. He did have a great time, and I think he represented Kansas very well going 7-1. He wrestled five alternate matches (5-0) and three team matches (2-1, losing to a State Champ from North Dakota). He came home a Middle School National "Alternate" Champion, gold medal and all.

I asked him if he made any friends outside of the kids that he already knew. He said that he did make a new friend in the alternate room with John McNabb from the Salina Kids Wrestling Club. I have to say, I think that was one of the best things he got out of this event.

Lee Girard