Maybe it was because of the former wrestler's parents and coaches.

I have told you over and over that I tend to agree that maybe it is too early but we don't get to make that call. USA Wrestling allows you to buy a card when you are in that age group. EVERY single open tournament offers 6U, national tournaments offer 6U, and there is 6U unofficial state tournament that is overcrowded with brackets that have too many competitors and the tournament lasts way too long. Your stance and opinion have been duly noted, documented, explained, backed up by Phd's and experts. You now have 60 years of experience saying that we don't need 6U wrestling. We get it.

The problem is that train left the station a LONG time ago. Get in front of it and you are going to get run over. More than 2,000 kids in that age group purchased USA cards from our state last year. It is our single largest age group! So the solution is a compromise. Create a series with small tournaments for this age group only. Limit the state bracket size to 16. Start the tournaments at 9:30 and be done just after lunch.

So, if your parents all tell you that they like the idea and you vote no what does that say?

That will really be the issue. Old school club directors who want to say that they know what is better for parent's kids. Move forward because if you try to stand still you are going to get passed by. If the market demands the event we should listen and make it a positive experience. Kids at every age level are going to quit the sport. There is NO holy grail answer to that issue.

I can see that we could debate this issue until the cows come home and you are going to be stubborn and unyielding. I post something and you basically ignore what the proposal is all about and continue your crusade to attempt to make Club Directors the "We know whats best" police. Please listen to the idea and understand the merit it has and set aside your bias for this age group. The proposal is a compromise and I don't read any attempt on your part to understand the real issues and find some middle ground. You are a great guy and a passionate supporter of kids wrestling. This cannot be questioned. That being said, lets look at present day STA HS and see where the failure to adapt to the changes that are taking place all around you has gotten this program. Sean, being able to adapt and change are critical to the success of ANY business, program, team, group, cause, etc. Think outside of the box and figure out new ways and new ideas to bring greater good, listen to hard facts and be ready to accept that yesterday is gone and today is a DIFFERENT day.

Last edited by Cokeley; 10/17/10 01:06 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com