http://salem.momslikeme.com/members/JournalActions.aspx?g=503488&m=947756&source=stream_rail

215 posts
by 1son on Oct 12, 2010 at 02:07 PM

Be sure to read the second paragraph. Amazing!

Appropriate Age for Competitive Sports

My son is only 8 and I cant says has competed in any "true competitive" sports. He has played basball for 2 years, basketball for 2 years and in his 3rd year of football (tackle 2years). While we are finding that most leagues are not competitive yet he tends to make them way himself. He is always asking about winning and losig and if we dont tell him he figures it out. We have talked to him after each game for all sports about what needs to improve on both teams and what each team and him did right. Always end it on the positives.

OH I was wrong I guess he did do Karate semi competitive from age 4 to 6.5 but we dropped that after he started other sports and had a very bad experience at a tournament. He was sparing and in a level with older and high belt kids then him - doing very well until they had some issues with him competing on the high lever and tried to pull him out (because he was winning) - director came over and told them to let him continue as he was doing ok and when he left the "judges" started to make bad and incorrect calls that cost him the win. No I am not a biased mom on this I have video to prove it. We were told after "based on this video he won" however we are not going to change the calls or overturn any of the placings. Left a very bad taste for my child as he came away crying saying that "they called a hit and he didnt touch me and i hit him but they ignored it. Why Mom" what could we say ????