Originally Posted By: fragged91
Chief,

St. James placed 8th at state last year, 4A. Their 2 best wrestlers are back; and the only 2 from the team ranked in your rankings; yet you have them ranked as the 10th best team in the state. Doesn't add up.

St. James has 6 Qualifiers returning, including two champions. They have two impact freshmen in Reese Cokeley and Trent Salsbury. Zack Pollom got 4th at the Fall Brawl at 171, beating Spencer Wilson and losing in OT to a tough MO kid. Mancuso, Vielhauer and Rory Haug will score points and may place. Do not discount this team. Another team that could fill that #10 is Pittsburg.

At 135 you have Williams from Aquinas ranked 10th. He didn't place at state last year. I don't see how he can go from not placing at state in 5A to be being 10th all class? Saying he placed as a freshman at 103 isn't enough criteria.

After placing as a freshman as well as earning his AA at Fargo, Tommy won 36 matches last year and admittedly had a bad state tournament. He may end up at 130, but when I got to #10 at 135 I considered Johns, Costa, Armstrong, Blackwell and Sharpe among others. I personally think Tommy can beat those guys.

At 285, the only 4A kid ranked, Denner, did not place in 4A last year. However, 2 285s who did place, Augusta and Eudora, aren't ranked.

That one is easy. Henning is no longer at Augusta and Molby moved out of state.

At 171 you have Jake Delp CC. Last year he wrestled 215 and finished 3rd 4A. Either he was wrestling up 30 or 40 pounds, or he cut off some limbs.

A combination of both. He was wrestling up and he IS wrestling 171 this year.

At 215, the only 4A kid ranked is Kettler. He lost to Delp, Clay Center, at state last year, but Delp isn't ranked. There are a couple of other 4A 215 pounders who placed last year, but are unranked. I think 4A 215 is tougher than 5A. 5A 215 looks very weak again this year, but yet you have 4 kids ranked.

As stated above, Delp is ranked at 171. A case could be made that Oslidal is better than Pacheco, Lanning and Butler. But I haven't heard it.

How do your justify Riley Denny as a top 10 171? It's tough for a sophomore in the upper weight classes.

This point could have merit. Weddington is probably better than Denny. Others could be Nick Meck, Shockley or Wilson. Any ideas?

Appreciate the post!

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12