In response to a recent email to a friend of mine that I read. Yes Rick is personal about 6& under. He started this tournament several years ago (I don't know how many because I am relatively new to the sport). At the time no one else wanted 6& under. He sacrificed his time and put all his effort into making a tournament to honor those young athletes that would otherwise be forced to compete in the 8 and under catagory at the state competion. He raised this competion as a parent would raise a child. Now that he has made it into a success others are wanting to swoop in and take control. Yeah I can understand why Rick is concidering this personal. I would be more concerned if he wasn't.
The kids that come to 6& under tournament are children that enjoy the sport. If they didn't come to 6& under they would be wrestling in 8& under in the actual state tournament where some of the, Shall we say, beefier children would be up against older more experienced wrestlers with a greater potential of getting hurt. These kids come from everywhere throughout the state. Yes it's a long drive for some but these families are ones who are dedicated to the sport and wrestle not only state wide but in multi states. No one forces these kids to be here they are here because of their drive and dedication.
Also while the brackets are sometimes large it is because he doesn't exclude. Any child can enter regardless of previous records. I could go on for hours but I have to get to work and I'm afraid my german irish temper will get the best of me if I continue to discuss the absurd allegations that have been stated by certain parties of this forum