Originally Posted By: palamino74
At the time no one else wanted 6& under.

That is absolutely not true! Prior to the 6U state (note the small 's') being started, it was the intent of District 2 to start one seeing as how we were the primary proponents of a 6U State (note the large 's'). Each time we attempted to pass a proposal at the meeting it was primarily the good folks from District 1 that defeated it. Following one of these defeats several of us from D2 or maybe even the entire district, I can't remember which, got together at the state meeting and decided we would start a 6U state tournament if the body refused to do so. We came home with that intent but no sooner had we gotten home than the notice of such a tournament was going to be held in Ottawa came along. I personally had no problem with that, other than it seemed a bit hypocritical for the tournament to be held in the same district that had helped to defeat a State 6U tournament.
I applaud those responsible for creating the 6U state tournament but now for the betterment of all of our kids, it's time to give it up. I realize it is a cash cow and that can be very hard to give up. For the good of our state and the state of wrestling it must go back to where it should have been all along and that is in the hands of the state body.