Originally Posted By: back in the day
Not sure what the secret formula is either.

Heights has 4 ranked wrestlers

Lansing has 5

The individual class rankings are more regimented in the scoring system. Points are awarded for ranked wrestlers and additional points are given to non-placers who will score team points in a state tournament scenario. In an All-Class team ranking, there is more subjectivity due to the lack of a pier level comparison. The dynamics change dramatically when a team is not at full strength or a team from out of state is added to the tournament. At Newton, key brackets had Union wrestlers eliminate potential scoring members of our top ranked teams. A good example is to compare why Heights beat Derby, Goddard and Garden City at the Derby tournament and then placed so low at Newton. Injuries, a DQ and the way the seeds fell had a huge impact. Many tournaments give you good team criteria, others don't. In the end, I continue to work towards providing the most objective rankings that I can. I have no reason to favor a certain team over another. The often thrown out claim of a big school bias is ludicrous. If Norton went to Eudora, Derby or the Bobcat, it would provide more criteria. My son wrestled at SM East. I pull for them in every match. You will find that I have never ranked one of them above a reasonable position that is not backed up by criteria.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12