While the argument for why they feel entitled to wrestle in the Kansas Kid's State tournament seems to be because they are members of the Hugoton team, the attorney did comment on the hardship of having to travel far to compete in Oklahoma because of Guymon's remote location. Having said, that looking at the total distance of competing in Oklahoma Kid's State Series versus Kansas Kid's State, it looks like it would be more of a hardship to compete in Kansas Kid's State assuming that the wrestler qualifies for State.

Guymon to OKWA Northwest Regional Tournament in Stillwater, OK round trip: 536 miles

Guymon to OKWA State in Tulsa, OK round trip: 652 miles

Total miles traveled: 536 + 652 = 1,188

Guymon to District IV South Dodge City, KS round trip: 258

Guymon to District IV Championships Pratt, KS round trip: 346

Guymon to Kansas Kid's State Topeka, KS round trip: 778

Total miles traveled: 1,382 for an extra 194 miles traveled.

Plus you have one extra weekend where you have additional food costs and potential hotel expenses.

If I were in their shoes I would be grateful if an exception was made to let my child compete in the Kansas State tournament, however, there would be no sense of entitlement that they must be allowed to compete because "we paid our dues". The attorney also stated that the parents were filing this because they "spoke of the disappointment of their sons". I'm sure there will be some very "disappointed" Kansas wrestlers who won't being going to their own state's tournament because they are beat out by a wrestler from another state...