I have been following this since its posting, my thoughts for what they are worth.

While I haven't been involved in the kids wrestling like I once was, I was at one time, and still spend time helping some kids on occasion. That said:

Some Kansas Kids go to Oklahoma, (I know not a USA State for Kids) or other states like Missouri or even Colorado to wrestle early, and I have never heard of a Kansas kid petitioning those states to wrestle for their state. I also know some kids buy their USA cards out of state for various reasons.

I firmly believe the USAWKS Board members have done what they felt was best, and while hindsight is 20/20 there are likely some that have had some issues with this for some time.

I agree with much of what has been said, the guidelines should have been clearer from the beginning, and not waited until mid season. That said it wasn't, so don't hold grudges, but make sure this doesn't happen again.

I agree with Beeson as well, while this could likely cost money, it needs to be fought to stand for principle. The principle of this could set precedent, and I personally can't understand a judge letting an Oklahoma resident wrestle for a Kansas State Championship.

I also think folks need to be careful with their comments, while they may not like the situation, we need to be careful to not blame the kids, for what I consider the selfish actions of the parents in this situation. As much as I hate to say it, the club also bears some responsibility for this by either not making things clear, or by not following through with concept that this is a Kansas State Championship. I personally see benefits of border towns allowing wrestlers to participate, but I also see need to communicate guidelines to those wrestlers and parents from the outset.

Now for full disclosure, a number of years ago I had moved to Kansas the week after the Oklahoma State Tournament. As deadlines fall, we were in Kansas prior to the state tournament qualification series. We asked about joining a club here but was told that he would not be eligible for state since he had at that time not enrolled in a school in Kansas. He enrolled the Monday after the series had started. We accepted that and moved on and had no problem with it.

I fully suspect the Board will make this right for next year, I hope they decide to proceed, even though it will cost to stand on principal this year. While one may not like those sort of costs, it is at times to be expected. The other thing I would ask, is this as I don't think it has been asked, is there any insurance for the organization which will help with the legal expenses. I know I carry professional liability that covers these types of expense. If there is, for sure fight through on this, if there isn't I still think it worth the cost.

Last edited by Mike Furches; 03/06/11 11:57 AM.