Originally Posted By: Cougars130
Its seems better than having 6 state champions what kind of credit is that for college to say I was a state champion with 5 other guys.. in TN we had 13fun teams in a region and 8 different regions and top 3 in each weight class went to state only 2 weight classes each year the top 4 got to go.. I was region champion but no state champion but if I was in ks that would be considered a state champion.. it seems easier here to me...

There are only four state champions at each weight class in KS. 6A, 5A, 4A, 321A. Yes, it is prepostorous that 16 of 32 wrestlers qualify for state in 5A & 6A (nearly 20% medal), 16 of 60 in 4A, and 16 of whatever is left in 321A but it is in alignment with today's "everyone is a winner" philosophy.

I would love to see a Grand State but if we could only make one KSHSAA change right now it would be to allow HS coaches to work with kids who want to spring wrestle. Contact with wrestlers from after state through the start of the following school year should be allowed. It would make a HUGE difference in the improvement of Kansas wrestlers.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com