The InterMat and wrestlingreport D1 college rankings.
Quentin Wright and Kevin Steinhaus – These are some college rankings
Steinhaus (#8 in both rankings) has a head to head win this year over Wright (#5 or #4) depending what ranking you look at
Here is an example of a national champion from last year at the same weight He started the year ranked number 1 – now he has a couple of losses but not head to head losses with all the guys ranked above him. There are some “commons” from this year but not all “commons”. So it appears to me the ranker is looking at the body of work from this year also and who is on and who is off a little.
You would think Steinhaus with a head to head win over Wright would be ranked ahead of him. But Steinhaus has some other losses on the year even though he has a win over the defending national champion from the 2010/11 season.

SO TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT HEAD-TO-HEAD IS NOT USED IN MAKING A RANKING OR SNAP SHOT IN TIME AND/OR WHO IS WRESTLING WELL A PARTICULAR TIME OF THE YEAR.

One other important note Steinhaus losses this year are all to top 10 ranked guys.
Ben Bennet 1 point loss
Chris Perry 1 point loss
Steve Bosak

Quentin’s 2 losses this year are against
#1 Ranked Robert Hamlin - Lehigh
#8 Ranked Kevin Steinhaus Minnesota

RANK - Intermat
1) Robert Hamlin Lehigh
Junior
2) Chris Perry Oklahoma State
Sophomore
3) Joe LeBlanc Wyoming
Senior
4) Steve Bosak Cornell
Junior
5) Quentin Wright Penn State 7-2
Junior

Wrestlingreport D1 Ranking
184:
1) Robert Hamlin-Lehigh-Jr
2) Joe LeBlanc-Wyoming-Sr
3) Steve Bosak-Cornell-Sr
4) Quentin Wright-Penn State-Jr
5) Chris Perry-Oklahoma State-So
6) Ryan Loder-Northern Iowa-So
7) Ben Bennett-Central Michigan-Jr
8) Kevin Steinhaus-Minnesota-So

http://wrestlingreport.com/current_news/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32550

So I think I have a little knowledge of the sport and by no means do I think I know it all.
But I do think it is important to pass this information on to the person who is ranking your kids from week to week. Again a ranking is a snap shot in time and who is wrestling well at that time of the year - and using the current data. If there were 5 kids all undefeated with wins over top ten guys they could all be tied for #1. That doesn't normally happen and we as students of the sport look at the scores of matches, pins, T-falls, shutouts, losses, etc.,

Last edited by smokeycabin; 12/20/11 11:15 AM.