For the parents who have not checked the calendar, this event is the same weekend as Reno Worlds. Folkstyle Nationals is 3/30-4/1 and Brute is 4/5-4/8.

There have been a couple questions regarding the level of competition at this event compared to Reno. If you are in the running for the Trinity award, I say you probably need to go to Reno. We want to take the best wrestlers Kansas has, but no one is going to be upset if you have a chance at that award and try to win it.

For the rest of you who are on the fence, consider that you will get 7-8 quality matches at this dual team tournament. At Reno, you lose 2 and you are finished. The team dual concept is important for these young guys. Your contribution to the team may be as simple as not giving up bonus points in a loss that helps us win a tight dual. You may score bonus points to help us win a tight dual. I've watched some of our wrestlers beat kids they have never beat before. Others have fought almost an entire period on their back to not get pinned. The level and intensity of the wrestling is always a notch higher in these events. Pride comes into play and there is more than just a personal win at stake. Just as important is the fact that the kids have fun and meet others that they may not get to see very often.

There will be no shortage of top notch kids at this event. Keep in mind that all the other states are trying to bring their best as well. I guarantee the caliber of wrestling will be all you can handle. Just ask Anthony Capul from our club - I think all 4 of his losses the last 2 years were at this dual event.

Dal Eck
dal@matteck.com
316-641-4913