My son wrestled in the late 90s. IMO wrestling-certainly less than BB and FB, was almost totally a family only attending event--mom, dad, smaller kids, a few grandmas and pappys (same for HS soccer, VB, baseball, track). Very few athletes from other sports came to watch, no staff, no general public. My local HS had only one at home dual this year--parents night--everything else was tournaments--some 2 hours away--the regional will be 2++hours away followed by the State 3++ hours away. IMO lack of at-home matches kills local fan interest and participation. I like tournaments, but big 2 day events, or even far away one day tournaments (3 to 4 hours round trip driving plus sitting for 8-10 hours, are killers on us older fans/folks. Would like to see-attend more. Personally try to see the Leavenworth Challenger (5 miles), the Bobcat Classic (6 miles), a home match (2miles), the regional if held KC,KS local, and the Metro Classic 10 miles). But the mostly away match/meet/tournament system is working against most fans. Could not attend the KVL tournament at Mill Valley--helping wife administer The ACT on Saturday AM--otherwise would have gone.

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/14/12 02:50 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing