Originally Posted By: Kansas Wildcat
I agree completely that it is their choice/right/decision to wrestle or not to wrestle. It's not up to me. But still I can disagree with that decision. Like you said, Dean, we just have fundamentally different viewpoints. I guess I have a problem with wrestlers picking and choosing their opponents. If my son ever suggested that he did not want to wrestle an opponent because the other wrestler is black - I would have a big big problem with that (and my son would suffer the consequences)! And if my son ever wanted to forfeit a match because he heard that the opponent is gay - I would have a problem with that too. Like some others have said - just wrestle whoever shows up. Wrestling by nature puts the participants in uncomfortable positions - physically, emotionally, etc. In fact, I would say it's the most uncomfortable sport I can think of. I would not do it. But for those who sign up, just wrestle.

To me, you are making on apples to oranges comparsion. You create a strawman argument (a black or a gay - excuse my language, and no disrespect meant), and then tore it down.

To me, gender vs. gender, and especally at this age - is a complicated thing. I respect the parents decision. Again, no one can force any one to wrestle any one. The wrestler obviously makes the ultimate decison of who they wrestle. My guess is this boy will happily wrestle any other boy (irregardless of the others boys religion or skin color or whatever...) For very obvious reasons, he just feels uncomfortable wrestling a girl.

I'm not judging anyone. That is not my position. I respect both, for different reasons. And, my respect is irrevalant. It is THEIR son, and they merely asked for some advice. Not dogma crammed down their throats.

For me, the potential pyscological damage it could do to the boy (that could effect him for the rest of his life), far outweight any gains he could possibly make by wrestling her.

Again, I will have to respectfully agree to disagree with you.

Dean

PS: I wrestled in the KC area in the early 80's. My 10th grade year, in a dual match, my weight class was one in which I would have been pitted against a returning undefeated state champ who I did not have a prayer against. This kid (and his twin brother) went on to wrestle D1 at Mizzo- any of you old timers remember the twins from Chrisman HS - Mark and Matt Sauls? My coach decided to move me down to JV. We foreited that weight. As a sidenote, I won my JV match by a crazy score of like 16-14. Now, if I would have wrestled Mr. Sauls, I would have most likely gotten pinned in less than a minute. Or, like a cat toying with a mouse, he would have let me up and taken me down, got about a 30 point lead (no mercy rule back then on points) and then pinned me. So, which do you think was the better experience for me? So. . . it happens all the time, and for different reasons, people picking and choosing who they wrestle. It is called freedom. And some times it is just down right smart.

When you got into Walmart do you always have to buy something or can you walk in, look around, and leave? Thankfully, since we live in most free country in the world you can do either/or without being judged.

I am in no position to judge. That is God's job. Not mine.

Take care.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)