Originally Posted By: Rford
Originally Posted By: Kansas Wildcat
I agree completely that it is their choice/right/decision to wrestle or not to wrestle. It's not up to me. But still I can disagree with that decision. Like you said, Dean, we just have fundamentally different viewpoints. I guess I have a problem with wrestlers picking and choosing their opponents. If my son ever suggested that he did not want to wrestle an opponent because the other wrestler is black - I would have a big big problem with that (and my son would suffer the consequences)! And if my son ever wanted to forfeit a match because he heard that the opponent is gay - I would have a problem with that too. Like some others have said - just wrestle whoever shows up. Wrestling by nature puts the participants in uncomfortable positions - physically, emotionally, etc. In fact, I would say it's the most uncomfortable sport I can think of. I would not do it. But for those who sign up, just wrestle.

I was wondering if anyone would see the slippery slope problem when you start making decisions based upon the particular characteristics of the person you are wrestling ... and basing discrimination on the bible or other religious doctrine isn't all that surprising...its happening everyday in all walks of life all around the world...

***Isn't it as simple as the young man has the right to wrestle or refuse to wrestle . . . any one he wants to wrestle??? And, the same applies to any one . . .

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)