I had a conversation today with someone about whether we even need subdistricts for ANY of the kids divisions. I didn't go thru and look at all of the districts' brackets, but didn't see very many brackets at D2 with more than 8 or 10 kids in it. For us to run only a District tourney, it would take a place that could handle a 900-1000 kid tourney. Maize manages to run a good tourney with that many kids, as does Derby. Of course Hartman Arena would be perfect. Speaking for D2 only of course. I assume other districts could find a place for a single district tourney as well. We could move district tourney to last weekend, same as Subdistricts, and move state up a week, to shorten the season. Kids will be able to get into FS Greco earlier, or get ready for the duals, Iowa, Reno, etc.........

The season is WAY too long IMO. And of course I am not telling anyone how long they should or shouldn't wrestle, but if you want to start earlier, and finish later, there are plenty of opportunities out there to fix you up. Pick any one of the 200 "National" tourneys !!! haha

Doing away with Subs, and charging a bit more for Districts, would probably raise enough extra money to rent a place like Hartman. I don't know this for a fact though. THere could be some kids that don't go to districts because they think they won't move on to state. I wouldn't let my kids think that way, but it will happen. So if we have 450 kids in each subdistrict, we may only have 750-800 at a single district tourney.......

And it would probably save some money on entry fees for most people, and of course save a weekend of gas, concessions, hotel, etc.

I don't know how much Reno, Iowa, Rocky Mntn, MSND, etc. pay attention to Kansas' kids' series schedule, but maybe they would move around a bit if we shortened our season by a week. Again, I appreciate all that Chief does for KS wrestling, but maybe this idea of no subs (which I am sure plenty of other people have talked about) would help keep some of these things from overlapping. I do think that we don't have anything to prove as Team Kansas, but proving it at Iowa, Reno, or Virginia would mean more......that just my opinion.

Last edited by doug747; 03/12/12 08:31 PM.