I don't have a horse in this race . . .but I can see Butch's point. And, I think it is OK to push it.

It might be your kid (or loved one) that is screwed out of going to an event such as this next year (and all the following years to come).

If the matter is settled openly and honestly, then, most likely this most unfortunate incident will not occur again...

So, in a sense, he is not only arguing for his kid, but for all the future kids that are eligible and would like to compete in an event such as this.

It appears to me that his points are valid and that nobody has came out and said something to the effect of, "Gee Butch. You are right. I see the validity of your points. We are so sorry that we made the mistake we did. Our deepest apologies. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Now we have extra insights not to allow an incident like this to happen again in the future. Yes, we are fallible humans. But any info that others can contribute to make the selection process more fair - is good info. Thanks again Butch. And, again, our apologies."

Something wrong with that? Anybody got some humility that says something to that effect to Butch?

I imagine Butch is fully aware that nothing can be done about the snafu that occurred to his son this year. But again, maybe his bringing up the thread/argument/discussion in the first place - could help your kid, or one of your loved ones, in the future.

I appreciate your frankness, courage and logic in shining your light on this Butch.

Take care.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)