Originally Posted By: shawnbudke
Folks,

I understand the questioning of the criteria used to pick these awards but I find it somewhat ironic that when other lists/polls get questioned and criticized then some get defensive.

Why do we want to criticize this effort or the fact that it is sponsored by a cable company with certain criteria? We already have enough issues trying to grow our sport that we love and get media attention for it. Now we have a media outlet sponsoring an award and we want to criticize the name and their criteria? I do not understand the logic and suggest we might be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Nothing personal, don't have a dog in the fight. Just an observation.

Shawn Budke

Shawn,

I am going to disagree with you on this. No one who has been critical of this list was trying to knock an organization that broadcasts wrestling events. I am not sure why you would suggest that. Everyone on this forum appreciates wrestling TV coverage and we all appreciate Metro Sports providing that coverage.

However if Metro Sports is going to start a topic on a Kansas high school wrestling forum that lists their All Metro team they need to expect that there will be some potential criticism and questioning of the selections. If you want to avoid questioning of it simply do not put it on a forum and just announce it on the TV station's news announcement of the team. In this case they should have expected that there would be some questioning of the selections on a Kansas high school wrestling forum especially when only four of the fourteen selections come from the Kansas side of the State Line. Also when an obvious choice like Austin Hood is left off this will raise questions and objections from a Kansas crowd.

And I still say if you are going to call a team an All Metro team then you should include the entire Metro in your criteria. I have never really heard before of a criteria of a media's viewing audience for the selection of an Area All Star Team. And I say that and still very much appreciate Metro Sports covering high school wrestling and definitely want them to continue to do so.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions