Great question that is really hard to answer. So far I have had three boys wrestle and only one is currently competing. The oldest wrestled from 8-10 years of age and just graduated from high school without stepping on the mat again. The second just completed his 11th year and will be a Junior next year. The third wrestled three years and took last year off (not sure if he will go again).

From these three scenarios, I can honestly say the the difference in their mentality for the sport has been the key. You have to be tough, serious, driven, and accept the fact that this is the toughest thing you can do at a young age.

There are many reasons why kids don't stick with wrestling (other and easier sports/activities to choose from, family financial hardship, not having a mean bone in your body, poor parenting, etc.) I have seen some kids over the years that I thought would never wrestle in high school because they just weren't very good. Those wrestlers have continued on into high school and have turned into pretty good wrestlers. Why did they stick it out? I think it has something to do with their internal makeup, their mentality toward the sport. It takes a special kid to continue doing one of the toughest sports that they can compete in.

Lee Girard