Tanner Gardner of Clearwater High School will be wrestling next year at Bethany College.

Here is a very good record of Tanner Gardner's wrestling career:

Played football all 4 years, baseball 1 year, and wrestled all 4 years.
He started wrestling when he was 7 and wrestled for Clearwater and Goddard wrestling clubs.
Freshman year he weighed 180 and wrestled JV the first part of the year. Our HWT kid broke his hand, so the last 3-4 weeks and for regionals, Tanner bumped up to help the team out and went 2-2 at regionals. Freshman record was 21-14. Placed 3rd at Brute Nationals.
Sophomore year he weighed 171 but wrestled 189 since we had a senior at 171. He received 1st team all league at 189 (undefeated in dual meets). Sophomore record was 30-13. Took 1st at Brute Nationals.
Junior year he wrestled 171 and again rcv’d 1st team all league at 171 (undefeated in dual meets). He qualified for state, but DNP. He also broke the single season pin record for Clearwater with 32 pins. Junior record was 37-11. He lost in OT in the finals at Brute to take 2nd.
Senior year he wrestled 170, but coach bumped him to 181 for all but 1 dual. He rcv’d 1st team all league at 181 (had only 1 dual loss in his high school career - to Levi Eck at 170). He was ranked #2 all year, and went into the state tournament with only 3 losses (2 of them to Eck #1 ranked). Had a bad weekend at state and ended up with 6th. He holds the school career fall record with 95 pins and hit the school record book for 5-6 other categories. Senior record was 35-6. Did not compete at Brute this year due to a broken nose the week prior to the competition.
High school career record was 123-44
Between Junior and Senior year he competed for Down Under Sports and traveled to Australia to wrestle against Australia and New Zealand. He said that was one of the highlights of his life so far, and a fitting reward of what wrestling can do for you with hard work and dedication.
He had about 15 schools interested and had actual scholarship offers from about 9-10, (NE, ND, MN, IA, MO, RI, IL, WI, OK, but he finally decided to stay closer to home and decided on Bethany. He thinks the combination of coach, school size and distance from home were a good fit for him to go to Bethany. He also likes the idea of being on the ground floor of a new program and of course the opportunity to help grow Kansas wrestling.
I’m obviously very proud of the man he has grown to be and all of his accomplishments along the way. It was a fun ride being by his side as we traveled the country to different tournaments. He has put in many hours (like every other dedicated wrestler) to earn the opportunity to take it to the next level. I’m confident he will continue to excel not only on the mat, in the classroom but life in general. He graduated with a 3.24 GPA, and his goal at this point is to study Education (History) and eventually teach high school and coach.

I received that information from Tanner's dad who is very proud of his son and his high school accomplishments. I always like seeing how the families of our Kansas wrestling community are very proud of their sons and daughters and of their accomplishments. I love to get stories like this because I get the opportunity to share in the pride and excitement that I know you all have for your children. I am the same way and it brings back great memories for me. Tanner Gardner's story especially brings backs memories for me because my own son started wrestling at 7 and my son was about the same size as Tanner and also had to wrestle heavyweight early in his career to win a starting spot on his team. So Mr. Gardner I really appreciate you taking the time to share Tanner youth and high school career with all of us.

Tanner Gardner, Congratulations on your high school academic and wrestling career. Good luck next year with your academics and wrestling at Bethany College.

http://www.bethanyswedes.com/article/1875.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Kansas High School Seniors Reported to be Wrestling in College Next Year:

Taber Barrientez-Campus HS-Wichita State University Wrestling Club
Nick Bauerly-Olathe South HS-Morningside College
Luke Bean-Kapuan Mt. Carmel HS-Arizona State University
Alex Bontz-Andover Central-Air Force Academy
Colt Castlebury-Douglass HS-North Dakota State University
Kale Cauthon-Santa Fe Trail HS-Bethany College
Brandon Charbonneau-Emporia HS-Augustana College
Reece Wright-Conklin-Lawrence HS-Newman University
Eddie Creek-Marysville HS-Fort Hays State University
Tre Davis-Manhattan HS-Colby CC
Ulyesses DeShazer-Wichita Heights HS-Labette CC
Trevor Dice-Arkansas City HS-Bethany College
Cash Drylie-Hays HS-Colby CC
Colton Duhr-Andale HS-Newman University
Jacob Eggers-Dodge City HS-Colorado Mesa University
Tanner Gardner-Clearwater HS-Bethany College
Shane Goetz-Hutchinson HS-Pratt CC
Rory Haug-Olathe North HS-Oklahoma City University
Brady Heicker-Derby HS-Pratt CC
Tyler Higgins-Goddard Eisenhower HS-Wichita State University Wrestling Club
Blaine Hill-SM East HS-Neosho CC
Austin Hood-Louisburg HS-Oklahoma State University (VERBAL )
Mason Hurla-St. Marys HS-Benedictine College
CJ Ikenberry-St. Thomas Aquinas HS-Benedictine College
Miles Johns-Newton HS-Newman University
Kane Kelly-Abilene HS-University of Nebraska-Kearney
Tyler Kimple-Goddard HS-Northwest Technical College
Caleb King-Piper HS-Benedictine College (Both for Wrestling and Football)
Taylor Krier-McPherson HS-Wichita State University Wrestling Club
Konnor Kriss-Colby HS-Colby CC
Jesse LeMay-Wellsville HS-Baker University
Eric Mason-St. Thomas Aquinas HS-Benedictine College
Garrett Matthews-Royal Valley HS-Benedictine College
Skylar McGinnis-Chanute HS-Labette CC
Connor Middleton-Olathe Northwest HS-Baker University
Andrew Morgan-Baldwin HS-Benedictine College-Verbal
Conner Neal-Wichita Heights HS-Labette CC
Barry Newton-Wichita Heights HS-Labette CC
Jonathan Peterson-Hutchinson HS-Pratt CC
Tim Prescott-McPherson HS-Neosho County CC
Bo Pursel-Lasing HS-Baker University
Nick Pursel-Lawrence HS-Planning to wrestle in Open Tournaments as Unattached Wrestler 2012-2013
Ben Randolph-SM East HS-Benedictine College
Matt Reed-Wichita Height HS-University of Oklahoma
Auggie Schmidt-Bluestem HS-Benedictine College
Dylan Schumaker-Hays Thomas More Prep HS-Wyoming University
Cody Sellers-Baldwin HS-Baker University
Aaron Seybold-Pittsburg HS-Labette CC
Taylor Smith-Spring Hill HS-Benedictine College
Dalton Snyder-Hoxie HS-Pratt CC
Sam Son-Chanute HS-Labette CC
Amber Sparks-Hutchinson HS-Midland University
Hunter Speer-Horton HS-Benedictine College
Hunter Stalford-Caney Valley HS-Benedictine College
Ty Swartz-Council Grove HS-Neosho County CC
Myron Tipton-Olathe East HS-Baker University (Football & Wrestling)
Javier Vieyra-Salina South HS-Augustana College
Devin Webber-Wichita South HS-Wichita State University Wrestling Club
Hunter Weddington-Andover HS-South Dakota State University
Chase Wells-Augusta HS-Benedictine College
Summer Werner-Halstead HS-Midland University
Darien Willis-KC Sumner Academy-Benedictine College
Tyler Willis-Shawnee Heights HS-Midland University
Terrance Wise-Hutchinson HS-Bethany College
Brian Wood--Manhattan HS-Colby CC
Bryan Woodward-Highland Park HS-Benedictine College
Rusty Yarrow-Clay Center Community HS-Iowa Western Community College
Matt Ziegler-Bishop Carroll HS-Fort Hays State University

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PENDING CONFIRMATIONS:

Brad Wilson-Lawrence HS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Kansas High School Seniors Not Wrestling College Next Year:

Ky Biddle-Burden Central HS-Football at Hutchinson CC
Zach Callahan-Mill Valley HS-Football at NW Missouri State University
Trey Campbell-Manhattan HS-Hutchinson CC-Football
Julian Cole-Piper HS-Football at Butler CC
Eastin Dockers Rose Hill HS-Football at Butler CC
Luke Hayes-Scott City HS-Football at Butler CC
Colton Lissolo-Hugoton HS-Football at Hutchinson CC
Brady Munsch-Salina South HS-Football at South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
Ty Suggs-Manhattan HS-Football at Butler CC
Tommy Williams-St. Thomas Aquinas HS-Golf at University of Northern Iowa
Tim Wise-Hutchinson HS-Soccer at Pratt CC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Kansas High School Wrestlers reported to be wrestling at new schools:

Zach Anderson 2011-Clay Center Community HS-Labette CC-to University of Nebraska-Kearney
Ethan Jirak-former state champion Oakley HS 2010-Benedictine College
Parker Madl of Blue Valley HS 2010-Oklahoma University-to Arizona State University
Chase Nelson-Wichita Heights HS 2009-Labette CC-University of Oklahoma-to University of Nebraska-Kearney
Jeff Vesta of Manhattan HS 2009-Neosho CC-to Newberry College

Please alert me to any additions, deletions, or other information that needs to be changed on the above list. Thank you.

I ask for a notice from the parent, wrestler, high school coach, college coach or a newspaper announcement. I want to be very careful before listing someone because the recruiting process made not be done before a wrestler actually commits.

Any information you are able to provide concerning athletic or academic accomplishments would be appreciated.

REMEMBER TO MAKE YOUR 2012 DONATION TO THE KANSAS COLLEGE WRESTLING FUND DONATION IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, THANK YOU
Make checks payable: USA Wrestling – Kansas, Inc./KCWF, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) entity.
Mail to: Mike Juby, Kansas College Wrestling Fund, 7208 Magnolia Way, Hutchinson, KS 67502

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions