A reminder that the deadline for submitting applications for the 2013 team is October 17. We are looking to select 18 of the top 6th-9th graders, from Ohio and surrounding states, with an estimated summer weight of 65-145 pounds. Trip dates will be mid June thru early August.

If you have any questions, or need an application, please contact Bart at bdbop@aol.com or 614-507-1653.

QUOTES FROM FORMER OHIO ALL-STAR COACHES, PARENTS & WRESTLERS:

Doug Blubaugh, 1960 Olympic Gold Medalist, 1997-2000 Team Coach

" I think this trip is one of the greatest learning situations that a kid could ever go through, not only towards his wrestling, but everything else, because it's more than just a wrestling trip. It's an education.
"If I was a young man, I think it would be one of the greatest things that could happen to me. I know it costs money, but it's one of those things that you get more out of than you would ever be able to pay back. It's one of the greatest things that I've seen for a kid to be able to do. I wish I could go on the entire trip myself."

Tony DiGiovanni, Head Coach at Solon High School, 1998 & 1999 Team Coach and Father of Vinny (1998 Team Member and 2002 Ohio State Champion)

"I got to see first hand the development of the team members, as well as my son, not only in their wrestling ability, but in their character, discipline and attitudes. It was a trip that demanded and rewarded excellence. In my opinion, this trip will be looked back upon, by those participants, as a life changing experience.
"As a father, I clearly saw my son grow into a young man who began to see wrestling, competition and hard work as an intrical part of developing friendships, commitment and maturity, which he has carried with him since that time.
"I'm pleased to say that at virtually every tournament I attend, alumni from that, or other Ohio All-Star Teams that I have worked with, come up to me to laugh, as we share great memories from past tours.
"The greatest show of support I can give is that all of the young men that I have encouraged to apply, and that have been accepted, come home with these eight words "It was the best summer of my life."

Jack Galloway, 3X Team Coach & Father of Nathan (2X Team Member and 3X PA State Champ)

"Start to finish, the Ohio All-Star Wrestling camp and trip will be one of the greatest experiences your wrestler will have. Camp is one of the toughest in the USA and the trip is fabulous."

Nathan Galloway, 3X PA State Champion and 2X Ohio All-Star Team Member (1996, 1997)

"Being on the team means getting to see things some people will never see. So, I think it's pretty special and makes me very proud. When I was selected, I didn't really know what was happening. Now I realize this is a pretty big accomplishment.
"The trip, in a whole, was a great time. It taught me to be responsible, well behaved and also improved my wrestling ability. Being on the team is a privilege, knowing that you're representing your team, your hometown and your family. The main thing that it means to me is making my family and friends proud."

Duane Palmer, Father of Lance (4X Ohio State Champion and NCAA Runner Up)

"I get people all the time that tell me that they're not going to send their son on this trip because it's too cultural. I tried to think, if I was a kid would I have wanted to do something like this? Not only did it help Lance grow up as a person, it helped his wrestling skills tremendously. It broadened his horizons by learning freestyle. Before the trip, he knew nothing about freestyle and a year later he not only won the state freestyle tournament, but the USA triple crown.
"In addition, he loved every minute of the trip. He really enjoyed the traveling and meeting all the people. It's a lot of money to raise, but if I had the money he'd be going again, because I see what the trip did for him."

Lance Palmer, 4x Ohio State Champion and NCAA Runner Up & 1999 Ohio All-Star Team Member

"I had a great time on the trip. We traveled for six weeks to places I've never been before. I learned to get along with everyone. I learned to be responsible and smart with money. If someone asked me how the trip was, I would say it was a great experience.
"I'm glad I went on the trip because the kids were cool and we went undefeated. I wish I could come on the trip again. I would want to go again because I had the best time."

Ryan Bertin, 2X NCAA Champion & 1994 Ohio All-Star Team Member

"To start off, I'd like to say that the trip meant a lot to me. I learned a lot of things, not only wrestling wise, but socially wise. When I first heard I was selected, I was very excited, but the waiting got boring. Once the trip started, I had fun and still am.
"I learned new moves and how to perfect and work hard on them. I also learned to work hard for my goals and dreams and someday I will be bound for a state title! It really felt good to represent my state, city, club and family. It also felt good to have people congratulate me.
"Finally, being a part of the Ohio All-Star Wrestling team was a sense of accomplishment and goal setting. I know that one day my hard work will pay off."

Willie Wineberg, 4X Ohio State Champion and 1989 Ohio All-Star Team Member

"The trip was the most fun thing I have ever done. It was awesome, since it was my first time out west, and the team made it even more fun. Everything we did was great, (except laps - but I don't think they're supposed to be). I learned so much, like being polite, (which is a new concept to me!), and being a good team player.
"Coach taught me a lot of good wrestling and I picked up some from the other guys on the team. Biggest thing I learned is how to do laundry, (yeah, my mom will like that). The money was tough to raise, but every cent and time is worth the trip. Because on the trip the guys really mature. I know I have."