Originally Posted By: Cokeley
I heard that Pixley was applying a Kolat, a headlock that restricts blood flow through the carotid artery, and the official failed to get in position to notice that Levi was losing consciousness. If so, the match should have been stopped for PD or the interpretation can be that the move was restricting air or blood flow which is illegal. IMO when a wrestler is disabled to the point of losing consciousness it could be an automatic disqualification by today's standards. A wrestler is NOT allowed to continue if he loses consciousness which would mean that an illegal move was involved. This official made this same mistake last year at this tournament. One of the SJA wrestlers went completely limp and the official never got down on a knee to peer in to see that the arm was tight across the neck. This isn't MMA. I believe in tough, aggressive wrestling but this was over the top. This should have been a great match.
Perhaps it was Kolat who taught the move to the infamous Simmons brothers and their "deadly sleeper" choke hold. I was in attendance at the NCAA Tournament in Kansas City when Simmons was penalized 1 point for the "sleeper" hold which cost him the match.

"The unseeded Clendenin beat the nation’s 5th-ranked wrestler, Nick Simmons of Michigan State, who is considered one of the most dominant lightweight men while on top. The first two periods were scoreless with Terrance unable to score from his feet. But while looking to ride out for a 1-0 win on time advantage, the Spartan made a mistake by locking hands while Clendenin tried frantically to escape. Tied 1-1 in overtime, once again neither scored, but Simmons was penalized for an illegal choke hold while attempting to ride out in the tie-breaker—giving Clendenin a 2-1 victory."

Lehigh Wrestling Release

Richard D. Salyer