I'm not going to speak to the legality of the move here. What I am going to speak to is Jax's assertion that Levi quit. I have the video, and the pressure being applied to the coratid artery/throat area caused Levi to be OUT. If you are saying otherwise you are either blind, or a complete idiot.

Levi would have been wise to not get in that position, but live and learn. The head inside single attack that got him the first takedown, would have been a wiser strategy to stick with.

I believe pressure to the same area in the 152 finals match caused the Colorado kid to nearly lose consciousness, but applied from a different position. Behind the kid instead of in front.

I have seen plenty of kids go out from tight head and arm, neck whip/wrenches, etc. I don't believe most of those instances were caused by purposeful application of pressure to the carotid artery area.

I believe that putting kids in positions that cause them to CHOOSE to go to their back, or give up a takedown, or give up the reversal is a part of this great, brutal, sport. Those that know me will vouch for that. However, NEVER in our practice room has anyone, even as a "hey look at this" type of situation, talked about technique that causes our opponent to lose consciousness. We prefer to defeat, or be defeated, while we and our opponent are both fully conscious.

I'm not going to badmouth any officials either. Should they be on the mat, looking into that area to make sure that type of pressure isn't being applied? Probably. But he shouldn't have to.

Watching the video several time, I counted to 7 or 8 when the pressure started, and it was pretty obvious what was happening a count or two before Levi went mostly limp, then to his back. Sorry, but a front quarter doesn't work anymore on a good kid, so with a hand in a choice place, aka Kolat, the baddest toughest meanest dude in the world is going out and going over. Last week, I saw a takedown that took the kid to his back, that was brought back to neutral, no points awarded, because the kid hollered, or something, to catch the 2nd ref's eye, and he stepped in and froze the action. The kid had been accidentally poked in the eye. They went back on their feet. The problem with this technique is that you can't signal to anyone that you are going out. You don't even know it until it happens. My opinion is that it should have been obvious to the ref that a defenseless wrestler was going to his back, and it should have been stopped.

Again, I like to see wrestling matches between two conscious kids....

Last edited by doug747; 01/13/13 06:09 PM.