Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: rccokeley
I personally think that once high school season is over then none of the elite high school kids (state champs, placers, or qualifiers) should do the kids series. I would much rather see them take some time off. Go watch the Big Ten tournament, or the NCAA tournament. Then start training for Virginia Beach, Flo Nationals, or USA Folkstyle Nationals. And then right after that start wrestling freestyle and Greco.

I never really understood why some wrestlers who did really well in high school choose to cut weight for another 3 weeks when they could be having fun watching college wrestling and training for an even bigger tournament and getting some national exposure.

Really? ELITE? Roughly 50% of the kids make it to State. 37.5%(1st-6th) of these wrestlers actually place. This is far from ELITE. If they did it like they did in the "Good Ole Days" only 25%(1st-4th) would place. This is still a "C" at best, not ELITE. The Elite Wrestlers would be your State Finalists 12.5%(Not the top 10% even). If you want the Elite wrestlers, we would have to have a Grand State and the Top 6 wrestlers (10%) would be considered Elite. So....in my opinion Chief's top 6 in the All Class rankings would be the only ELITE wrestlers in the State. Everyone else is not Elite and should be allowed to wrestle in the kids series at whatever age they are.

Beeson 58.9% of the kids in 5a wrestled in the state tourney.