Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: Ryan Jilka
Originally Posted By: badbo
Got to agree with Beeson. We are ranking kids on dominance, but yet allow kids that "red shirt" to be in the same conversation. Great wrestlers no doubt, but it's a clear advantage to mature and refine yours skills another year.

I guess I'll ask...any of these top ten ever get held back or start kindergarten late? I'm not saying they didn't get some advantage from the year in NM, but both being 40ish and 0 their freshman year isn't just from that one year. You would think a senior with their extra age and experience could have knocked them off. Caldwell pinned 36, I believe, as a freshman. This included a VERY good, older Paul Hansen.

I won't argue with any list if it's about HS careers, but if you're going to say a best ever in Kansas they better have some AA status in college (or beyond).

Here is my argument on just one year difference. I was an ok wrestler and went 12-14 my freshman year. My sophomore year I went 26-3-1 losing to an Oklahoma State Champion at Perry, and two Kansas State Placers(both of whom I beat later in the year) and won a State Title. My Junior year I was a State Champion and went 27-1 losing to Mike Klinglesmith, Freestyle National Champion from Midwest City Oklahoma. My Senior year I was a State Champion and went 28-1 losing to 2x undefeated State Champion Jonny McCreary from Wellington. My point is had I redshirted, I would have had a pretty impressive career and more than likely been a 4x State Champion with a total of 5 losses instead of losing 19. One year makes a huge difference. If it didn't I doubt they would have redshirted.

Chad,

A tie???!! A Tie???!! Please, Chad, please tell me that you did not accept a tie!!

Surely, at the age of 16, in a move that foreshadowed your prolific posting on the Talkforum site, you grabbed the micro-phone, leapt onto the announcer table in full singlet splendor, and said something like this:

“A tie is unacceptable!! You either win the wrestling match or you lose the wrestling match! I am charged with scoring more points than my opponent. I failed to do so. I thus did not win and must be charged with a loss.

This is just an example of preparing the path for the child, not preparing the child for the path!! This is simply this handing out awards to all the participants so they will feel good about themselves.!! A tie won’t help my team gain team points and further build team tradition. I want no part of it. I decline your tie and will only accept a loss!!

I swear before all present in this gymnasium that I believe this with my heart and soul, and only hope that technology will someday allow me to speak these same words from my desk at work for the entire wrestling community to hear. ” smile

But even if you didn’t, that’s a dang good record. Congratulations.

Patrick Murphy

p.s. I hope you think this is funny, cause that's how I mean it!! See you on a Saturday.