Originally Posted By: Cokeley
12 team regionals make sense. They can be wrestled in one day without jeopardy of breaking he 5 match rule.

Don't know if Cokeley is correct? KIt Harris and I have recommended 2 class changes: Harris recommends a 40 40 48 structure, I recommend a 40 40 40. Either is an improvement over the current 32 32 64 structure. My proposal creates a 40 school class that results in 4 X 10 school 8 bracket regionals in each class. A 40 40 40 (120 school) reclass would require moving the smallest eight 4A schools (Goodland 281, Larned 279, Hugoton 271, Concordia 265, Frontenac 261, Scott Community 257, Burlington 254, Russell 251) down to 321A. I think all 10 school 8 bracket regionals can be wrestled in one day--especially since Cokeley says 12 schools regionals can be wrestled.

Mr Harris' proposal also has 40 school classes in 6A and 5A, but a 48 school 4A class. This restructure retains 128 schools of the current 32 32 64. IF, and I say again IF, the four 12 school 4A regionals can be wrestled in one day then either reclass structure may be doable. But, I DO think regionals with 12 schools will present a one day doable problem. 12 schools will probably over fill an 8 bracket tournament and thus will require a lot of pig tail/wrestle-in matches, plus another round for the losers bracket. An option for a 12 school regional may be to use a 16 bracket. The issue with a 16 bracket is the number of first round byes--at least 25% (1/4 of the tournament), more if there are teams with less than full 14 man rosters.

Added on review of Kit's latest post. I don't know enough to address the 6th man rule and bracketing. I will leave that to the big boys. But, one more comment about my 40 40 40 structure. I think it can be wrestled in a 8 bracket format. I think only a few weight classes will have 9 or 10 wrestlers thus at most requiring only 2 pigtail/wrestle-ins in any weight class. I also recommend that pigtail/wrestle-in matches to be one loss and elimination matches (necessary to preclude a pigtail losers bracket and to save time). I also think there will be a few low density weight classes that will have less than 8 wrestlers.

If the concept of all one day regionals in all classes is not acceptable, then why do a class restructure?

Last edited by WillyM; 03/11/14 11:38 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing