Originally Posted By: Ryan Jilka
Will,
You can fix the too many schools issue by closing all high schools without wrestling. They obviously don't care about kids! wink

Seriously, I don't know the fix for state, but it's a great topic of conversation. California has one state tournament. In 2012-2013, they had 27,634 participants from 835 schools. ONE STATE TOURNAMENT. Kansas had 204 schools listed on NFHS data for the same year and had 5156 participants. I'm not completely in favor of one tournament, but if California can figure this out surely we can too.

I think the biggest problem with any proposal is what seems to always occur... we fight with each other until we're so divided that we don't want to compromise on anything. Let's keep the discussion(s) moving forward with open minds. I'd love to see just about any of the new proposals take place.

Well said about the biggest problem with any proposal. Have to quit pole vaulting over mouse turds (fighting), comprise and move forward. In this case maintaining the status quo is ridiculous. I think Kit Harris and I have laid out 2 very doable changes, improvements in Kansas high school wrestling. Either may need some very small tweaks but they can be found and corrections made.

Proposals for one big assed all inclusive California type tournament, a duals state tournament, WHAT ELSE, are all self defeating. Can't and won't be sold in Kansas. Such proposals would cost more money, plus who cares who is the number one stud in the state in a weight class. Reducing the number of chances to compete and win and be a state champion, by lumping everyone in one class, will I think be a severe blow to Kansas HS wrestling. If I am a HS wrestler and I live in the town of "100 MILES from NO PLACE, Kansas and my only options are to always wrestle against kid from the big, big schools/big wrestling clubs, etc., I elect to do rodeo, motorcycle jumping, skate boarding, or heaven forbid basketball or soccer. Why expend the time, money and sweat. If their is no incentive for the kids they will find something else to do.

Bill Mason Lansing