Thanks for the comment coach. Shows that someone out there is listening. I can't comment on the quality or lack of at the Salina tournament organization and support.

The 40 40 48 is a good option. I do think there is a risk that a 12 team (48/4) tournament can't be wrestled in one day. Would probably have to go to a 16 bracket tournament. That would result in a lot of opening round byes, walkovers are big time wasters, and a whole added losers bracket round.

The intent for my proposal has been primarily aimed at reducing the number of first round byes in the regional tournaments, getting all 654A regionals wrestled in one day. The KC area 5A regional is notorious for short roster, byes, and qualifying wrestlers to state with O (zero) wins (excluding a losers bracket win by bye (resulting from a 3 wrestler bracket).

The simplest way to cut byes is to reduce the number of opening slots in 4A (thus the 8 man VS 16 man bracket (112 slots vs 224 slots). Increase the number of schools/wrestlers in 5A and 6A from 32 to 40. 4A benefits by reducing the bracket from 16 to 8 (fillable in either a 40 or 48 school enrollment class), plus the 4A regionals become one day tournaments like 5A and 6A.

Hope this keeps going and adopted..

If either option is adopted will have to do one or two regional cycles (years) to evaluate and tweak.

Last edited by WillyM; 03/13/14 02:14 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing