Each year we try to assign officials to this event that were NOT utilized at a HS state tournament. We have to continue to offer opportunities to younger officials and cultivate the next generation of on the mat arbiters.

I like to have a head official that does NOT work a mat so that a request can be made for a more experienced official may offer insight. In most cases it will be a judgment call but in some the junior official may need some assistance with the rules.

I wasn't there this year but I do not condone officials who are not the head official involving themselves in decisions that should be made by the official on the whistle. The ONLY time this is acceptable is if two man mechanics are being used. My question to the official in this case would be "If you witness an official blowing a call when you are a mere observer, are you going to interrupt the match and ask the whistle to overturn his/her decision?"

Max, I am guessing you didn't go to the 5A/6A KSHSAA state tournament this year or there is NO WAY you would have made your opening statement. smile Remember we have to develop officials too.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com