Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
I am not sure how many practices they have per week.

Season 6 weeks long - great introduction period

Shawnee Mission Middle School

Boys' Wrestling for 7th and 8th grade (August 18-October 4)

WRESTLING SCHEDULE

Who knows - maybe the school district is on to something for the kids that have never been exposed to wrestling. It is definitely worth a try.

Way better than no opportunity.

In my opinion this is the worst schedule they could create. We as wrestling fans need to work hand in hand with football and vice versa. Both sports develop some of the same physical skills. From a wrestling point of view, the numbers involved with football serve as a great place to fill wrestling rooms/teams. If your school is having trouble filling a full wrestling squad I suggest the first place you look is the relationship between these two sports. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if in the case above, if the reason for the weird season schedule wasn't to show wrestling as not a viable sport? We already have at least three different middle school wrestling seasons in this state, now we need another one? I would be curious as to anyone's reasoning as to why to not go with a more traditional season for wrestling. It wouldn't possibly be to protect that other winter sport?