As a parent and wrestling fan I have every right to criticize when I see a coach, mentor not do the right thing.
Is it an isolated instance? Boy, I hope so. Was it not as intentional as the video makes it seem? Boy, I hope so.
I have no problem calling out an adult. Coach Sims looked right at his wrestler after the other teams coach questioned the ref as to why the punches weren't called illegal. All Coach Sims chose to do was put a finger to his temple and tell his kid to be smarter. A good coach would have pulled his kid and shown he had no tolerance for dirty moves. This, Blake, is classless. Not my posting on your forum so that others know about this incident. You miss one main point of my post---I asked the question as to what we are teaching our young men when we don't hold them accountable? I, too, have seen some "wicked crossfaces" This was no cross face. Its two, closed fist, hard punches to the back of the head. Im not sour grapes that you have a good program and Im not calling out all your wrestlers. Kudos to a strong program. Maybe this should all be laid at the feet of the ref. But from what is on this video that was sent to me, it certainly appears that it could have been handled better at matside. As far as an agenda? I have none. I wont see Colby HS wrestle again this year. I don't wish any of the team or school any ill will, Im just asking that someone realize that we do no justice to these young men when we condone bad behavior. As a student athlete, these kids should be held to a higher standard than that of a thug.