Sorry you don't believe me Beeson, but I do think it has academic repercussions. Not trying to hide behind it. In the old days I along with all my teammates cut weight when we weighed in right before competitions. So, weighing in before competitions does not stop wrestlers from cutting weight. If a wrestler is cutting an unhealthy amount of weight it will catch up to him. Good coaches talk with their athletes about what amount of weight is reasonable to cut.
Tonight we wrestle Salina South at Campus at 6pm. If we weighed in at 5pm what time does Salina South have to leave school. If they have to leave school early for shoulder to shoulder weigh in and they have to do that 4-5 times a year does that affect their academics?
We are not afraid of making weight before the competition. In fact, we wrestled in a 2 day tournament in Oklahoma this weekend and had to make weight both Fri and Sat mornings (no Friday evening weigh in allowed). Every one of our wrestlers wrestled the same weight during the weekend shoulder to shoulder 2 hour before competition weigh as they do during the morning weigh-ins before evening dual competitions.
A compromise to me would be to allow morning weigh-ins for mid week competitions and have shoulder to shoulder at all tournament weekend competitions.