Originally Posted By: Bill Johnson
Do any of you understand how much paperwork and weekly mathematical calculations are involved in the NFHSAA descent plan? Wrestling does not need anymore paper work.

Thank you Coach Johnson. At least you are giving the real reason why the High School Coaches not wanting this rule change don't want it. That I can respect.

The Kansas 8% plan from the Alpha weigh-in is more strict on weight-loss than the NF plan. And it is much more simple. Yes a doctor could allow an athlete it lose more than the 8%, but that should be a well thought out plan by Doctor, Parent, Athlete, & Coach.

That is assuming the schools are not cheating at Alpha weigh-in. That is also assuming that the Doctor, Parent, Athlete, & Coach come up with a plan instead of the Doctor just signing the slip of paper.

I like the Kansas Weigh-In rules. Most team's schedule today is much more active than 20 years ago when I saw more weight cutting. IMO kids are not cutting near as much weight today because they are having to weigh-in many more times. My team wrestles a good deal in Nebraska as well as in Kansas. And they make weight fine under either system. However the Kansas System is much more convenient. Travel, and loss of Instructional time are the big advantages.

I think the weight cutting is the same. You just don't see it today, they hide it better. Convenience should never be a reason to not follow rules.

Finally, I believe if kids are cutting too much weight, it will eventually catch up with them, and that may not be until the Regional or State Tournaments. But it will catch up with them.

It does catch up with them, I have seen it every year. The problem is we make it too easy during the season and then they get caught instead of taught to do it right during the year.

Last edited by Beeson; 12/19/14 03:23 AM.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary