Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
Originally Posted By: Teamroper
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
Originally Posted By: Phunk123
How did Maki drop completely out of the rankings at 145 when he placed 3rd last year, 2nd in 2014 and hasnt lost this year? He hasn't competed yet from what I understand. But you're telling me #'s 2-6 have criteria over him at 145?

From the information I have, he is expected back after the break. Until then, I took him and others out until they wrestle. It did change the team rankings. Andover dropped two places.

No dog in the fight so to speak but if a wrestler is hurt he falls out of the rankings? That doesn't make sense unless it is season ending.

Are these rankings if the tournament would happen this coming weekend or are they a prediction in February?

I just see in 6A Preito is still #1 and I didn't think he has wrestled a match, but I could be wrong. I am in no way saying he isn't #1 but if he is hurt doesn't he get pulled from the rankings?

I would assume the ranking are shooting for the podium at state to align with rankings (I think there were percentage comparisons last year) so it doesn't make sense to drop a "hurt" kid if you truly think he will be there in the end.

I think you do a great job and set the standard for rankers, this one just struck me as odd and didn't seem to follow a consistent thought process.

Tracy,

Very good post... I'm sure many have wondered the same thing and I have to admit cases of inconsistency. My basic policy has been to remove a wrestler that has been injured or is unlikely to return until regionals or not at all. I have also tried to omit wrestlers that have not yet been on the mat. In the past, I have made exceptions for top ranked wrestlers that I know to be returning or starting soon. In Prieto's case, he will wrestle this Saturday in Allen, TX.

Thanks again for bringing this up!

Chief

Fair enough, that makes sense enough. I still am not sure I 100% agree with them being removed from the rankings for being out hurt for a few weeks.

I think predicting the podium is what the ranking are about, not shuffling kids in and out due to missing a few weeks to heal up.

But it is your show, and you have been doing this alot longer than I have been making fun of it. (not a old joke either)

So would this change your thought if you compared state placements to ranking in like 2 weeks? Everyone should be settled in by then I would think.

Just a challenge to the rankers, pretty easy to compare the last 2 week of the season rankings to state results. Also very difficult (impossible) predicting injuries, but it would be interesting.

Chief, thanks for all you do and for the response.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS