It is good to see other states talking about supporting and adding college wrestling programs.

jonathan
jonathan
Administrator
Staff Member

If the State of Kansas can help grow the sport of wrestling and give some of our Missouri kids additional close options post high school, I'd be okay with it.

College Opportunities have doubled in Kansas the past 11 years.

St. Mary (new program 2017?)
Baker University
Barton Community College
Benedictine College
Bethany College
Colby Community College
Fort Hays State University
Kansas Wesleyan University
Labette Community College
Neosho County Community College
Newman University
Northwest Kansas Technical College
Pratt Community College
Ottawa University

Currently Cowley College is looking at starting a program as well.

jonathan, Apr 14, 2016
jm125 likes this.
jm125
jm125
Varsity Level

I have talked with the head coach at Kansas Wesleyan and he wants to get a girls program started there after a few solid years under his belt.

Do we know why Kansas has had this amount of growth? Why can't some of our Jucos in Missouri adopt a similar tactic? How about resurrecting Meramec?

jm125, Apr 15, 2016
jonathan
jonathan
Administrator
Staff Member

jm125 said: ↑

I have talked with the head coach at Kansas Wesleyan and he wants to get a girls program started there after a few solid years under his belt.

Do we know why Kansas has had this amount of growth? Why can't some of our Jucos in Missouri adopt a similar tactic? How about resurrecting Meramec?

I don't know the specific reason, but I do know they have a "Kansas College Wrestling Fund":

It is the mission of the Kansas College Wrestling Fund to provide financial support for Kansas colleges and universities with active college wrestling programs. This financial support to Kansas colleges and universities will help provide wrestling, academic and eventual career opportunities for student athlete wrestlers in the State of Kansas.

Individual and corporate donor annual gifting levels:
Platinum Level-$5,000 and above
Gold Level-$2,000 to $5,000
Silver Level-$500-$1,999
Bronze Level-$1-$499

jonathan, Apr 15, 2016
jm125 likes this.
NCMC4life
NCMC4life
State Qualifier Level

With Columbia College adding women's bowling and men's lacrosse, it makes me wonder if there is an organized effort to push for wrestling to be added at the collegiate level in our state. Columbia College has added both baseball and now lacrosse in the past few years, so is seemingly open to adding new sports.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...cle_f4bbf276-2bff-11e6-a260-2bd5f00214ba.html

Last edited by smokeycabin; 07/14/16 09:30 AM.