Kansas Wrestling

6U parents . . . which 6U state???

Posted By: schroedermom

6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 04:05 PM

Just wondering what other 6U parents have decided to do with their 6u kiddo? Are you attending Ottawa, Topeka or both???
Posted By: LoriC

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 04:14 PM

We are going to Ottawa for sure; haven't decided about Topeka yet.
Posted By: Benelli

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 04:55 PM

Ottawa!
Posted By: KMac

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 04:56 PM

Ottawa for sure and taking a "wait and see" approach to Topeka to see what kind of turnout is expected.
Posted By: Sudawn Bradley

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 05:15 PM

We will be attending both.
Posted By: O coach

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 06:45 PM

we will be taking ours to Topeka, theres just something about the big stage and the kids need to know that this is something special. given this oppertunity to have these kids on the big stage, is what will keep these kids coming back for more.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 06:59 PM

How many of your 6U will also be finishing the year with the 8U if they qualify?

We are going to Ottawa for sure but still trying to decide about Topeka with Districts being the next day and getting back to make weight for that if our boys qualify . . . decisions, decisions!!
Posted By: Bones1768

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 07:12 PM

So far my wife has said that we will take our son to both ottawa and Topeka. But who knows that might change. I don't know about whether we are going to try to qualify in 8U. We would have to wrestle in lindborgs for sub-district and then the next day in ottawa. Back to Back hard days of wrestling, I don't know if my son is ready for that. But we will see how the next couple of weeks play out.
Posted By: LoriC

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 07:33 PM

That was our rationale behind doing both Topeka and Ottawa; that we not going to try Subs this year--too many good 8 yr. old's at our 6 yr old's weight--but now we may enter older DS in Subs as he has wrestled well lately and if you have to be there anyway, might as well enter the other one. Too many decisions!

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 08:19 PM

"DS"??

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 08:21 PM

Darling son = DS. that is my guess anyway

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 08:31 PM

Thanks. That had me stumped.
Posted By: Homie

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 08:35 PM

I'm with KMac. We will be in Ottawa for sure. They started it, they deserve it. Topeka will be a game time decision made my son based on how he feels. It's already been a long season so I will leave it up to him.
Posted By: dagwood

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 09:07 PM

We will definitely be returning to Ottawa this year. AS for Topeka I have not decided yet. We are doing subs and if all goes well districts so that would mean 4 tournaments 15-20 matches in a 14 day span wich is alot to expect from any wrestle especially a 6U
Posted By: KMac

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 09:16 PM

Dagwood,
It's actually a possibility of 15-20 matches in an 8 day period. Saturday March 15th - Saturday March 22nd.....4 tournaments in 8 days if you attend Subs, Districts, & Both 6U State Tourneys.
Posted By: ckwrestler

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/19/08 09:46 PM

We will be going to Ottawa. My parents cannot get off on a Friday to attend a tournament. I as a coach is aready taking off for State and pulling my wrestlers out of school for that. I won't do it in two different weeks. I was planning on going to both until I found out it was on Friday. Ottawa does a great job with the tournament and gives out plaques just like the big dance. My son who is 10U now still remembers it as one of the funnest times he has had wrestling.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 01:28 AM

I think you understand my point. That is alot to ask of any wrestler let alone a 6 year old.
Posted By: jafo14

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 01:42 AM

Can anyone tell me if both of the 6U state tourneys are run fairly well? I've not been to either and plan on taking my son to Ottawa, because I've heard that is run pretty well. I wouldn't mind going to Topeka too, because I will be there anyway. Any advice and, or comments on both would be appreciated.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 01:48 AM

Ottawa does a good job. This is Topeka's first one

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 01:52 AM

Oh, I wasn't sure about Topeka. Thanks man I appreciate it.
Posted By: mmeditz

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 01:54 AM

My son went to Ottawa last yr and it was fine. A nice big 64 man bracket, a concession stand, a gym full of screaming fans, crowded matsides and a bunch of good wrestlers and matches. Pretty much the same as every other good tournament that we attended before and since. With the exception of the huge bracket and all the talent under one roof, which is what its all about anyway.

Having said that, my son wrestles for Jr Vikings and we are hoping to see everyone that wants another good weekend of wrestling turn out at the Expo for it. It is our first time with the 6u, but Mark Stanley is a get it done kinda guy so it should be a very fine event. Hope to see you all there.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 02:00 AM

Good, just what I wanted to hear. Depending on how my little man feels, we may go to both. Competition never hurt anyone, and thanks for the input. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Packerholic4

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 02:07 AM

we're going to Ottawa. We've never been there and Ottawa started this whole thing. To much driving going to Topeka and trying to get two other boys to weigh in for districts on Friday.
Posted By: Spex

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 02:47 AM

All of ours are going to Ottawa.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 05:22 AM

All of Ark City are going to Ottawa. The only way we will send someone to Topeka is if they win Ottawa, if they don't win Ottawa there is no reason to go to Topeka.
Posted By: millspartyof5

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 02:05 PM

Gardner is going to Ottawa. Some random who have dads that are coaches and can take off work may end up in Topeka too but that is up in the air.
Posted By: Murph

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 02:28 PM

We are going to Ottawa. Neat year-end tourney. Don't want two finishes, regardless of how we do at Ottawa.
Posted By: Mark J Stanley

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 03:33 PM

We have a great event planned for Topeka and hope to see you all there.

• 10 full sized mats on the arena floor.
• Parade of athletes.
• Medal rounds will be ran in a grand format on full sized mats.
• Plaques will be awarded to the top six competitors at each weight.
• Inflatable’s and other entertainment will be laid out in exposition hall for kids and parents to get away from the action in between matches
• And much, much more.

I would like to thank all of the wrestlers who choose to support our tourney in advance. No matter how grand the venue, we cannot do it without the kids. This will be a day set aside for them; our under six “champions”. Both sites will offer good wrestling and I encourage all of you that can to support both tournaments. It does not have to be either/or or "us vs them". Both venues are working hard to put a positive product out for the kids. Keep that in mind as you make your choice. Good luck with the remainder of your season.
Posted By: kitch

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/20/08 04:21 PM

i would like to goto both tournaments but that puts us wrestling 4 tournaments in 8 days. that is alot for a 6U kiddo... i am leaving it up to him to do what he wants. Sure would be nice if these 2 could come together and just have one really nice 6U tourney at a great location. I think wrestling in the expocenter is obviously fun for the kids but ottawa has put in the time and made this "THE" tournament for the 6U kids. Let's just make one big 6U tournament and call it state and let the kids go wrestle somewhere...
Posted By: bockman

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/21/08 04:12 AM

I still like the idea of having the 6 and under tournament earlier in the season. Like before the highschool state. That would give the better 6 and unders a chance to wrestle in the 8 and under if we dont get the 6 and under approved to be part of the regular state. My son wont be wrestling 6 and under after this year but I would like to be able to watch those kids wrestle at the regular state. We could all use some good entertainment that late in the season. We will be in Kc that weekend anyways for St. Paddy's day so we will be going to Ottawa.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/22/08 01:03 PM

Any one thinking of trying to be the champ at 2 different weight classes, one at each tournament or will you wrestle the same weight class at both tournaments? Just wondering what others are thinking?

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/22/08 01:52 PM

I think your little one has as good as chance as anyone to do it. Good Luck.
Posted By: Jaguar

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/22/08 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Homie
I'm with KMac. We will be in Ottawa for sure. They started it, they deserve it

Agreed 100%.
Posted By: kaseycory

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/22/08 03:43 PM

Our Wellsville Kids 6U are only goign to Ottawa

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/22/08 08:26 PM

Thanks Chad . . . we are still in the "trying to decide" stage. No definite decision yet!!

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/23/08 03:26 AM

We are debating that very issue now. Thinking of going 64 at Ottawa and 61 at Topeka but not 100% sure yet. We have competed at 61 all year.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/25/08 01:45 PM

bump
Posted By: JDK

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 12:21 AM

Ottawa all the way
Posted By: CJA

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 12:26 AM

Go to both if your kids choke at least he/she has another opportunity.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 01:45 AM

WHOA!!! That's the problem with two state championships. There is no second chance, not for state. You either performed or you didn't.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 02:17 AM

That's true Beeson,But It is what it is.If we had 2 would you go to both?I would be pretty upset if my kid had the flu or something during state.
Posted By: nix

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 02:29 AM

look at it this way ottawa is a 6 and under state championship, topeka is 6 and under tournament of champions so topeka would be like salina's tournament of champions not to be confused with a state championship. just my thoughts on this subject. so lets say you did win at topeka would you consider your kid a state champ? or the winner of tournament of champions.
Posted By: nix

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 02:32 AM

guess i was wrong topeka does say state in there flyer
Posted By: mmeditz

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 04:07 AM

When we were at Ottawa last yr, I saw some kids that were there ONLY because it is a non qualifying "state". I understand your reasoning Beeson and knowing the level of competition that Jake brings, I agree with your position of winning at Ottawa before going to Topeka, if your wrestler wants to be able to claim the true 6u state champ title.

My point is that maybe some of the kids last yr in the 64 man bracket that Jake and Kolton were in just came because it was the last tourn. of the yr and they wanted to wrestle one more time. For those folks that want one more time on the mat this yr they will enjoy the Topeka 6u state. For those that want to claim the title with meaning and pride, win at both. The 6yr old that places first at Ottawa is going to be so proud of him/herself as is the 6yr old who places first at Topeka. The only thing that will tarnish their win is the ADULT who takes the time and effort to explain to a 6yr old the whole two state tournys and you didnt win both so that doesnt mean anything. To me, any kid that can work their way thru a 64 man bracket and take first is the equivilant to a state champ in my book. I know the kid that won it last yr at 6u49 would have come to Topeka and won it there as well.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 12:16 PM

MMeditz,

Thanks, for the first time I see why a kid would go to Topeka if they didn't win Ottawa, for another chance to wrestle. With that being said I really think something needs to be done next year so there are not two 6u states.
Posted By: pittdogg

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 05:36 PM

is anyone going to this wichita classic
Posted By: my12floz

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 06:45 PM

WOW! just be happy you have a place to go.you know thay havent always had 6&under state. and now you have 2, so stop cryin & pick one. Ottawa, lots of people, 64 man brackets in a HS gym. Topeka, lots of people ,64 man brackets in the Expo.?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 06:49 PM

Team Haysville will be at the Classic!

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 07:35 PM

thinking bout coming up from oklahoma

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 07:42 PM

I hope you mean for The Classic and not for 6U state.

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 08:01 PM

yea for the non qualifing state is that ok .lol yes for the classic

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 08:41 PM

Can somebody actually do that for 6under what are the rules for each?
Posted By: Mark J Stanley

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 08:47 PM

Topeka is for Kansas Kids only...

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/26/08 09:04 PM

I was just curious how Ottawa knows who actually is from Kansas or somewhere else.When we were 6under I seen kids we never wrestled before.
Posted By: OMMCP

Re: 6U parents . . . which 6U state??? - 02/27/08 01:49 AM

I was just curious how Ottawa knows who actually is from Kansas or somewhere else.When we were 6under I seen kids we never wrestled before.

Ottawa excepts only Kansas kids, we would think their registration when turned in would be of an honest entry.
With many large brackets I also saw kids we never wrestled before within our region.Because the Ottawa six and under state championships challenge all six and unders to compete, there are probably many of the novice tournament kids as well. I know here in Ottawa we enter all if not most of our six and under kids be it their first, third or fourth year wrestling. Who knows what may happen; and it gives our wrestlers a chance to see what kind of competition they will have to face in the future, and our coaches a look at how to prepare them for the different styles of other clubs, if indeed that even holds water at that age.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums