Kansas Wrestling

The best wrestlers in each age.

Posted By: 2good4u

The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/04/02 02:50 AM

Who do you think are the best wrestlers in each age div. or at least had a outstanding year.
Posted By: JNA

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/04/02 09:19 PM

The best wrestler at 12 and under in Kansas is Brandon Smith. Brandon dominated his opponents all year. He would have been the champ in any weight class. The only real question would be; who would be second best?
Posted By: and126

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/04/02 09:36 PM

At 10u its a toss up Kyle Detmer,and C.Zoglman. Both kids are GREAT!!!!!! At 12u is a tie John & Jorden Keller!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: FIGGE

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 02:57 AM

I think Mike Stienmetz is by far the greatest wrestler and friend anyone could ever have.
Posted By: FIGGE

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 02:58 AM

oh yeah that was in 16 and under
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 01:37 PM

I looked at the records at some of the big meets and I think that and126 picked a couple of great kids at 10 and under, but I think you have to also give recognition to Ryan Garret, Team Lightning, at 10 & under, 120 lbs.. I know about Ryan because my son's only two defeats this year were to Ryan at Salina and the State Tournament.

Here is Ryan's recent record:

2001 State Tournament - 1st 10 & under, 110 lbs.
Nov 2001 Cliff Keen
Kickoff Classic-------- 1st 10 & under, 130 lbs.
Tulsa Nationals 2002--- 1st 10 & under, 130 lbs.
2002 State Tournament - 1st 10 & under, 120 lbs.

The above victories alone are very impressive, but two other things stand out. First he took 1st place at 2001 State last year in his first year at 10 & under. Second he is in the 120 lbs. weight class, but managed to win the Cliff Keen and Tulsa tournaments against bigger wrestlers up to 130 lbs.. I believe both of those things are very difficult to accomplish. I doubt that there is another wrestler in 10 & under who accomplished quite as much.

It is probably pretty difficult to compare him to the other two excellent wrestlers mentioned by and126 due to the weight differential, but I certainly think Ryan deserves consideration, too.
Posted By: J.D.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 02:05 PM

I think Chance Sinclair of Osawatamie 8u
76,and Ethan Mumaw Team Tigers 8u 73, are
both outstanding. At 10u 90 Daniels from
Ark City was really impressive all year. At
12u 80 there were alot of good wrestlers!
Don't know on 14u, but Earl Jones will
always get my vote. Earl you are an
inspiration. Also did anyone else get an
opportunity to see the 6u kid from Caney,
who is blind, AWESOME!!!
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 02:19 PM

10 & Under - My vote goes to Sharkey Slyter. He wrestles all year. He is always agressive. He seeks the best competition. His weight class, 61 lbs, is super competitive as this weight is near the center of the bell curve for this age. He is a great kid as he treats all other kids with respect.

14 & Under - My vote goes to Nick Shumate. You won't find any competitor who is classier. He is smooth as silk. I think he has lost to two Kansas kids in the past four years, avenging at least one of those losses.

Good luck to all Kansas kids this weekend!
Posted By: tin man

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 02:52 PM

I agree Nick Shumate is smooth, I have seen him make really good wrestlers look like they have never wrestled before. Also will he Nick be in high school next year and if so who will he wrestle for?
Posted By: twister

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 08:04 PM

Symon Seaton from Bonner Springs is one of the very best in 8u. He beat 2 two state champ and a 3rd place finisher from last year on his way to the state title at 52lbs. this year. He never had a match closer that 5 points. He is the best techincal wrestler I have seen at this age.
Posted By: coach RT from OSA

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/05/02 09:58 PM

I think with out question Chance Sinclair from Osawatomie is the best 8/u kid. Not only because he was undefeated this year, but he is also one of the nicest and polite kids I've been around. I know Chance personally and am proud to coach him and also have him and his family as friends.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/06/02 04:31 AM

Both Chance and Symon are excellent candidates. I have an idea. Coach RT and Symon's dad, Eddie, should wrestle to determine who the best 8 and under kid is. I will go with Eddie (2x HS state champ and 3rd 2x, not sure how many kids state titles he racked up.

It is tough to compare kids who wrestle in smaller weights against those who wrestle in the heavier brackets. There seems to be less technique when kids get to the edge of the curve as far as size is concerned.

How about Marvio T. from Salina?? I think he is in 12 and under. A big kid with awesome technique.
Posted By: bigwrestlingfan101

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/06/02 04:42 AM

in the 8u group let's not forget about T.chadd from maize and M.dickson from ark city,T.chadd is competing in reno this weekend and I believe only match he lost this year was at tulsa natinals,has not had a tough match in ks this year,would like to see him and sinclare go at it,would be fun
Posted By: wrestlingmom

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/06/02 10:48 AM

Nick Shumate will wrestle at Blue Valley Northwest next year.
Posted By: T Yeagley

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/06/02 03:39 PM

I also think at 8 under 73 Ethan Mumaw from team tigers is the best, He is very strong and a very polite kid. I like that in a state champ.
Posted By: THE BOMB SQUAD

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/06/02 07:24 PM

There are some strong kids from Valley Center also.

Jimmy Hubbard-Stults 10 & under
Tyler Caldwell 12 & under
Chase Nitcher 10 & under
Posted By: coach RT from OSA

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/07/02 09:14 PM

This is for Cokeley. I was merly stating my pick for the best wrestler. But you took it one step further. If you and this Eddie want to see how good i am, both of you bring $20 bucks to Osawatomie's high school and get on the mat with me and find out. April 20, weigh-ins are 6-8 we wrestle at 9. Osawatomie's Oldtimers Tour.
Posted By: mat monster

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/08/02 02:30 AM

Nick Shumate was at 80-right? Will he be big enough to be a contender in High school? The 103 pound state champs in high school were way bigger than that. I know Harding in 5A was at 120 at kids state. It's pretty hard for a bonafide contender to be under 103.
Posted By: Wrestling Father

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/08/02 12:05 PM

At 6 & under Zac Gentzler 40/43 pounds from WWC won Tulsa Nationals, USJOC, Kansas State, and Reno. He may be the best 6 year old in the state.
Posted By: Matthew

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/08/02 04:36 PM

12u Jared Hensley. He has been undefeated all this year.
Posted By: Lunaticdude16

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/08/02 07:19 PM

scott eliot beet him this year!
Posted By: Jared's Mom

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/08/02 08:33 PM

Jared Hensley 12 and under @ 105 is a very good wrestler. He did lose 2 matches this year. One was Scott Elliot @ Century II by one point and the other was at the Wichita Classic by a kid from Missouri. Jared did win State and Topeka Nationals this year.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/10/02 01:33 AM

I would have to say that Nick Nothern from Salina is the best 14 and under wrestler this year. Nick tore a tendon in his arm in his quarter finals match at state and still won state. That's true studism!

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/10/02 02:29 AM

How many state titles has Nick Shumate won?
Posted By: smellykneepads

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 04/11/02 01:58 AM

i think austin jonas 14/120 from wwc is one bad mamma jamma
Posted By: champion89

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/25/02 09:27 PM

Id pick todd bell at 12 and under. Brandon Smith almost got pinned by bell two times this year.
Bell would have taken state at 139 if he would have gone. 14 and under would have to be nick shumate, and 16 and under would be todd's brother cody bell. they are both good wrestlers.=-o
Posted By: Justin C.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/27/02 02:00 PM

I personaly think the best wrestler in 12 and under is a tie between John and jordan keller. John had a very unfair match where the kid (the person he was wrestling) got "injured". what a joke. the coaches told the kid to lay down on the mat so he would win with an injury. The coaches for the kid he (john) was wrestling have every ounce of my pity. And I just have to give my regards to Jordan for a great season. Congratulations John (really the #1 wrestler at state in his wieght division)and Jordan for a great season.
Posted By: Coachjt

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/28/02 01:07 AM

If he didn't do an illegal move he wouldn't of had that problem! When you are manhandling a guy you still need to stay under conrol. I'm sure he has learned his lesson.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/28/02 12:31 PM

i had that same problem at subdistricts when i was wrestling in the finals against Dakotta Gettler. i was beating him 9-2 and i did an illegal move so his coaches told him to sit down and then he started crying and he couldnt go on so he won.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/28/02 12:36 PM

what weight were the Kellers at?

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/28/02 10:27 PM

I hope YOU LEARN YOUR LESSON when you get kicked out of the junoir wrestling league for teaching your kids how to be BABYS.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/29/02 03:18 PM

I didn't coach this kid, nor do I coach mine to be babies. The Kellers are excellent wrestlers and will be on top again. I just hope they didn't learn their control from you. I hope you don't kick me out of wrestling!

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 05/29/02 03:30 PM

Don't worry...i didn't.
Posted By: Josh Clark

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 06/24/02 04:15 PM

I agree. He is the most dominant wrestler i've seen in kids for awhile. For being eight he has excellent technique and has a move for about every situation.
Posted By: TLowe

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 07/28/02 01:45 AM

I think everyone should watch Cody Pack. He is really holding his own in the 10 & Under division. If you want to rate on heart and determination instead of wins I would go w/Kyle Caylor. Kyle has stuggled at times but always finds time to root on all the other kids in his bracket and his team mates. Kyle really is a great sportsman and I feel that that is #1 rating in my book.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 08/02/02 01:00 AM

What kids are back in 8under around 52/55 for this upcoming year. Is either or both of the Deshazer's 8u? I think Ulysses is. What about Jamon Cotton? What other state place winners or qualifiers are back for 55/58 this year?

Coach Dad

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 08/02/02 03:15 PM

U. Deshazer, TOHK
J. Cotton, Hutch
D. Dowell, El Dorado
C. Locke, Maize

will all be back this year, How about those Seaton boys? Will either one of them be back?

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 08/20/02 12:13 AM

Both of the Seaton's move up. From this side of the state there is:

Bo Pursel - Tonganoxie
Chris Lemanske - Bonner
Zach Hoehn - Wellsville (I thought he moved up but he wrestled Sunflower Games 8U).
Dakin - Emporia

CoachDad

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 08/20/02 02:17 AM

Sunflower games go by the age of the wrestler the day of the tournament, so he still might move up? I think he does because he wrestled at Nationals and my boy wasn't old enough yet? But I am not for sure.
Posted By: RJZDDW

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 08/21/02 02:24 AM

My son Zakery Will
was 6@under 58 lbs. He had 2 loses at 6@under.And placed 1st at 11 tournaments and 2nd at two.He got 4th at sub-district and 3rd at district he did get beat out at state but with the bracket he had it was an honor to be there with the older kids like Deshazer..I am not trying to brag but he is one of the best 6@under kids in the state.Not to mention his little brother Dayton 5yrs old got 4th in his 1st year at 8@under 40lbs.HE got beat by two 7yr. olds and still has 2 yrs left at 6@under.Hope to see you all next season.
Posted By: Lunaticdude16

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 08/22/02 08:55 PM

Mr. Will - no offense but excuse me while I throw up.
Posted By: sfrench

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 08/23/02 05:28 PM

My son wrestled Zach this year at the Topeka tournament. I will go on record as saying Zach was THE BEST 6 Under 58lb'er in the State, bar none. He was also one of the best sportsman we had a chance to run across this year. Don't listen to these punks Dad, you've got a champ on your hands.
Posted By: se

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 09/09/02 06:42 PM

How is 8 & under 52lbs looking in District 1? Especially in the South?

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 09/10/02 09:45 PM

who knows what weight they will be but there were several tough kids at 49 and Brandon Lincoln at 46. At 49 last year were McKinney from Paola, Theole from Linn County. Who knows how much they will grow for this year.

The 52 pounders from last year are all alot bigger.

Hope this helps,

CoachDad
Posted By: ewrestler

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/13/02 11:07 AM

At 8u 40lbs Robert Rhea won the state championship in 2001 while he was still a 6u wrestler, he won the World Tournment in Reno at 6u 43lbs was the most outstanding wrestler at world and was named as a co-mention for the Cliff Keen All-star Team. In 2002 he was the State Champion at 8u 46lbs and looks like he will be wrestling at 52lbs this year.
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/14/02 02:03 AM

To Justin C.

I would like to thank you for showing everyone in this forum exactly how not to act in the world of wrestling. I can't beleive that someone would still be crying over something that happened last year. Yes most of us already know this story, Mr Keller was wrestling Nick Peterson from Abilene. In almost every aspect of the word he was manhandling Nick (not neccasarily a bad thing) I beleive the score was 9 to 1 or something like that, and at the very end of the match Mr Keller applied an Illegal move, whether or not he meant to hurt Nick and im almost 100% he was not trying to, he did. When all was said and done the injury time had run out, its only 1:30 seconds, mind you! Nick wanted to continue wrestling but the referee would not let the match continue, at no point did any of the Abilene coaches or Nick's father ever! and I repeat, ever! tell Nick that he could not contiune wrestling. I do know thats Nick's father expressed to me after the match the he did not want Nick to continue wrestling mr Keller is he was going to continue to apply illegal holds and hurt Nick but he said nothing during the actual match. After all was said and done Nick was declared the winner of the match by default. Now everyone who watched the match knew he won the match and thats not to debate. Mr Keller in his heart im sure knows he won the match as well. But I guess its more important to be holding the big plaque cuase thats all its about, is material possession, right? Boy im glad very few teams in Kansas teach that philosophy! As a coach from Abilene Kids Club and a representative of the club I would just like to say that we never, ever, teach our kids to lay down, be babies, or anything else like that, especially me! Anyone who knows me from wrestling will know that I don't allow that. I will also tell you that Nick is one of my best wrester that I have, period. He is one the the hardest workers in the the practice room, he has an aswome attituide, and has never taken handouts. And to hear someone bash him who doesn't even know him or his personallity is sickening to me. It really brings down the sport when people do that. I would like to thank CoachJT for his comments as well. Nick will be one of the best in the state again this year, and I personally hope that Mr. Keller is one, again as well. I also hope that that we can keep this forum peaceful like it has been and not start blaming, and bashing other teams, coaches, ect. Justin C. I strongly urge you to exercise class becuase that is also part of wrestling as well, just a suggestion though

Nigel Isom
Abilene Kids Wrestling Coach
Posted By: old145

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/24/02 02:07 PM

to champion89, when you drove your knee into gettler's privates did you expect him to get up. I coached that match and I did try to get him up to finish the match,but as you stated,"Illeagal move.
Posted By: Somers

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/25/02 05:05 PM

hell ya figge i agree mike is unstoppable when he wants to be or whenever he has to
Posted By: wrestlin4life

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/27/02 02:51 AM

I didnt drive my knee into his private and he was holding his arm not his private.
Posted By: SLAMMER7

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/27/02 08:56 PM

who is strong at 14 under and around 103?
Posted By: THOMASX3

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/27/02 11:19 PM

Who are the top contenders in state and nationally in 10 & under 58-61 lbs?

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/27/02 11:35 PM

I meant in-state and in-state studs who will be competing nationally, unless someone can throw up some names out of state to watch for.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/28/02 12:09 AM

Hey Moeder noticed you were on. We met you all in Denver this past year. Is your boy moving up to bottom of 10u? Any info what weight he might be? Just curious! Or any others around them weights?
Posted By: moeder

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/28/02 12:17 AM

Mr. Thomas - Oklahoma. (Shane Thomas' father I presume??) Our season (for us anyway) has not started, so I'm not sure where the kids will be at as far as weight classes. I would anticipate however that in either 58 or 61 lbs will be Daniel DeShazer who I am sure you are familiar with. I would say he is definitely the top wrestler we will offer from Kansas in those weights. After that you have a couple others that always have potential to place at the national tournaments, but I would still say DeShazer is capable of winning any tournament that he enters, either locally or nationally. As far as others in those weights that are likely to travel would be: McCombs & Dryden (Wichita) Cotton (Hutchinson), and possibly we'll get to travel to 1 or 2 ourselves.
Good luck to Shane for the upcoming season.
Moeder - Colby
Posted By: moeder

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/28/02 12:26 AM

Mr. Thomas, see your 2nd message now, but apparently was typing a response to your first posting. I figured that was you but wasn't sure. Taylor is moving up to the bottom of 10&U this year and most likely will be at 61. Is weighing 59 right now, so figure we may as well start at 61 right off the bat since thats where he'll be at the end of the season here in Kansas. (He hasn't done much though, so when he gets in the practice room we may see a few pounds fall off.) Take Care and Good Luck to Shane.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/28/02 12:27 AM

Hey Moeder yes this is the father of Shane (Mike) Nice hearing from you. We know Deshazier real well along with Skylar McComb. Shane will move up to 10u and be around them weights. Good Luck to you all this year in state and hopeflly we will see you all this year. I believe after meeting you all this past year your boy will be one of the top contenders also.

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/28/02 07:40 PM

Hey Biddle any info-div and weight where your youngster is going to be this year?
Posted By: S Biddle

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/28/02 10:22 PM

Hey Mike, just finishing up Football. Weighed last night and I think were starting to grow. He weighed 65 lbs. He is in Div. 3 this year also. Good luck to Shane this year, were gonna set the Oklahoma tournaments out this year. Probably see you at Tulsa. Good Luck Scott

Re: The best wrestlers in each age. - 10/31/02 09:32 PM

Hey Scott, sorry I missed you I logged out and went back to OK forum. It really sounds like Ky is growing he has passed us up. We have one more football game Sat but no practice this week so we have been able to hit wrestling room steady. Good Luck to you all this year and maybe we will try to attend some KS tourneys this year if not we will keep an eye out for you all at TN.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums